water evaporation ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
how much water evaporation are you guys getting with your setups ? since ive added a sump ive noticed I get ? have more evaporation mostly cuz the last chamber where the pump is normally gets low when I check on things. seems im getting anywere from 4-8 litres every 2 days roughly is that amount normal ? I thought maybe adding a lid on the overflow box would help reduce it as it was also nosey when draining which it did quiet it down but I thought it helped for evaporation but apparently not lol .... I also have the top of the sump open, im thinking of putting lids on it as well to keep it as closed as possible, will this help or what can I do to stop the water from evaporating so much ? I just did a water change not last night but night before and I had to add about 7 litres today to the system

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Everybody's evaporation rate will be different based on tank coverage and dryness of the air. Covers will definitely help.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
:thumbsup:
my humidity drops into the mid to high teens during winter and I doubt I even lose a gallon over the course of three weeks between water changes .I have about a square foot total of uncovered tank/sump area with a total of twenty three square feet of surface area. the rest is glassed over.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
well tank is basically totally covered, overflow box totally covered now as well with piece of plexi glass 30g sump isn't covered ..... but thinking of covering it as much as possible as well hoping it will help stop evaporation or slow it down a lot .... when I used canister I was able to go weeks without much water evaporation ....

but my vent for my heat is behind my tank lol, and sump is super close to it thinking it playing a part in it too now

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
saran wrap is your best friend to cover up gaps. Use it haha

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not sure what size tanks folks running where water changes take place every 3 weeks or so. I do 90% percent water changes every week, evaporation is about 2 inches. on the 180, open top, and around 1" on the 140. 80% covered. no sumps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store