Thoughts on sump?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am about the start actually building my 700g aquarium in a couple weeks(!!!) but I am realizing the sump may be more problematic than I had thought. I was planning use a 120g tank I have (60"x18"x26" tall), but I realized without leaving any space for work in the sump that means I would have to make my stand 26" tall, when the aquarium itself will be about 36" without lights or anything, which puts me at almost 5 feet tall, without taking to account I am pouring some self leveling cement as the base of the tank, and that since this in in my basement the ceiling are not that tall. How much space do need between the top of the sump and the bottom of the tank in order to do maintenance on it? I really don't have a good place to put any kind of sump or large filter except under the tank.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
My 2cents.. save yourself the headache of trying to balance a sump that big and all the vulnerabilities one that big has against it. Go canister. You can always try this again later if you change your mind. Sumps that large run for minutes after the pumps stop which can lead to various problems.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Is there room in the room to offset the sump, either partially of totally?
Since this is a build, it is not absolutely necessary to put the sump directly below the tank.
Although sumps are best below, for the use of gravity, it can be offset. I have one sump below the tank, yet off to the side, and totally open so the pump and other equipment is easily assessable. That sump is also used for 4 other tanks and contains a large pump that is too large to be maneuvered between a minimal gap.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
My sump is 17 inches tall, my stand is 30 inches tall--leaves me 13 inches between my stand and sump to work with. I ran 2 inch PVC for drains in that area. I wouldn't try that with anything less than 13 inches. What size drain lines are you running?

OSXer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
MI
Does the sump absolutely need to be under the tank? From my experiences making racks of tanks, I didn't want to crawl under a big tank to tend a sump on a regular basis, so I offset mine from the tank:

*Plumbing was 3/4s complete in that photo*

Sump (I'm still in the process of making a cover for it which will block all except the tan lid, which provides easy access to the mechanical media for cleaning):

The tank and sump are in a different room from the display, so it's not a big deal to have the sump situated separate from the tank.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Ok thanks for the thoughts... Can a large garbage can withstand the pressure of being filled with water? I definitely don't have room for the tank I was planning to use other than under the tank, but a garbage can I could I think. I am looking to go DIY to keep the price down and I also want something easy to maintain, and I don't really like maintaining traditional canister filters. What about fluidized bed in a big barrel? It has to be quite large to keep up with filter a tank this size.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's what I mean, you can see one of the tanks the sump drains off to the upper left, a biotower filled with lava rock in the middle, and a filter sock upper right. There is also a tank above right, and a few other tanks that drain into it from another room.
Also a refill line with a float valve, and red PVC shut off and redirect valve.

some views from above

I have also used barrels set off to the side for sumps, because they are tall, there is extra room for overflow if power fails.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Can a large garbage can withstand the pressure of being filled with water?.
Yes, just make sure it's not a cheap thin one. I used a 33-40 gallon trash can for water changes in the past. I kept it full most of the time. I also bought wheels for it and pushed it around the house.

OSXer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
MI
Ok thanks for the thoughts... Can a large garbage can withstand the pressure of being filled with water?
I made a small stand out of PVC to raise it up in order to reduce the depth of the water being held in the container. It deforms a bit, but not significantly. It really depends on the exact one you buy and how high you fill it.
It has to be quite large to keep up with filter a tank this size.
FWIW, my setup is on a 550 gallon.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you can usually find 50 and 30(35?) gallon plastic drums like in duanes photo for cheap on craigslist, and I'd have much more faith in one of those than I would a trash can. you could accidentally slice, melt, or rip a trash can. a drum is a wise investment. just make sure they weren't used for pesticides or anything oily. fertilizers and foods will wash out easily, the drums in the link I posted have had chlorine in them. perfect!

my sump is 48"x24"x12" and I have 13" open above it with about 11" available between the top of the sump and the top "door sill" and it works. my 19"x24"x6" sponge layer is horizontal so I only need 4" plus hand/arm space.

duanes, I never get out to wisconsin, but if I do I expect I'll be sending you a pm to see if I can come look over that filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store