Moving media thoughts

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
I have heard conflicting thoughts on the effectiveness of different types of moving filter beds.

In particular I am interested in the difference between filter beds using air stones (sumps/bio reactors) as compared to completely submerged moving filters (ultima or bio chip type pond filteration).

I have used both types inline for a couple years now and it has worked well for me but a large canister/enclosed type system would be simple and take less space...thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
My opinion moving filtration works best. Of course volume of media and contact time is most important. With moving media you minimize dead pockets, you can ensure all media is in contact with fresh water, and with the larger chamber you can ensure longer contact with the media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
I have 180g sumps on my larger tanks (1000g+) and definitely prefer the moving bed in a sump.i still use both moving bed and ultimas but prefer moving bed.

cjfrontlovr

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2006
denver,nc..
I am not 100% sure so I cannot answer that. what I do know is ultimas trap waste whereas moving beds are prefiltered.(at least in my case). isn't the idea to get rid of waste BEFORE bio has to convert it? I keep my socks clean (50 micron) and have crystal clear water.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Thank you for all the comments so far...

I will always keep mechanical filteration before biological. The question is more geared towards what is the advantage/disadvantage between the 2 types.

Far as canister types trapping waste, the back flush can be used as often as necessary.

One of the disadvantages of the sump type is the mulm has nowhere to go...which is part of the reason I added a pond filter on my return line.

All comments are welcome. Just trying to compare the 2 types from a scientific point of view.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I would love to just hook up a huge Ultima and call it a day. I tried emailing them a little back asking about hooking ultimas up to multiple tanks or if you have to have one per tank or what. Sumps sure work but all the piping and everything gets annoying after a while. I figure if you ran a huge Ultima off a system you can add in a little if you ever needed better clarity or more bio. I see a large pond and one filter in my future then all the separate tanks dumping into that pond like it's the sump.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Is there a difference in the type of bacteria living in the media that comes in contact with air compared to the completely submerged type?

Strictly preference?

The bacteria in a moving bed (bioreactor, sump, etc) with or without bio chips, will be more efficient than a closed pressure filter. Older dead bacteria will slough off with the constant tumbling from aeration leaving surface area for newer bacteria to form.

I use both pressure filters (bead, glass, ultima etc) and open air moving bed on all my tanks. With pressure filters, my mindset has always been to use them strictly as a form of mechanical filtration and any additional biological filtration I get is a bonus. The volume of waste rays produce requires frequent backwashing which reduces the beneficial bacteria concentration in the closed vessel.

So if you are looking for the more efficient bio filtration, and already have good mechanical filtration setup, moving bed is the way to go IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store