Are these Bulkheads good?

vishwa.J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2014
Sri Lanka
Hello,
I have been looking online for some heavy duty bulkheads and came across these..
http://stores.ebay.com/reefshop/Aquarium-Plumbing-/_i.html?_fsub=5584687014

this is the only Schedule 80s I found on ebay that ship to Sri Lanka for a reasonable shipping fee..
I'm not Familiar with this Inland Seas Brand so I really could use the Knowledge of the members here..

Can these be used with 10/12 mm glass? (1/2" and 3/4" ones specifically)
PVC ones we have here doesn't have long enough thread..and they leak :irked:

and one more question , is ABS good enough to be used for a tank larger than 120G? I heard they are prone to cracking that's why I'm looking for SCH 80s..
Thanks in Advance..

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Never had a problem with the ABS.
If after use, an extended period where it sat dry for a while, the rubber gasket can get brittle, but in that circumstance, replacing of the gasket would be sufficient.
As long as the gasket is in tank (submerged) mine have gone years, so far at least.

vishwa.J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2014
Sri Lanka
Never had a problem with the ABS.
If after use, an extended period where it sat dry for a while, the rubber gasket can get brittle, but in that circumstance, replacing of the gasket would be sufficient.
As long as the gasket is in tank (submerged) mine have gone years, so far at least.
Okay thanks! Just ordered a pair of ABS bulkheads...

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
All the drain, return (between tank and sump) and closed loop circulation plumbing I use (ABS) bulkheads. Although I've not personally experienced the test of time, I think this is the way to go. I got my bulkheads from BulkReefSupply. BTW, I have 1/2" glass.

vishwa.J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2014
Sri Lanka
All the drain, return (between tank and sump) and closed loop circulation plumbing I use (ABS) bulkheads. Although I've not personally experienced the test of time, I think this is the way to go. I got my bulkheads from BulkReefSupply. BTW, I have 1/2" glass.
Thank you for your reply!

I'm going with ABS for my 30 gal saltwater build..
Might go with Schedule 80 for 150 gal..

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I had a tank with schedule 80 bulkheads, wont do that ever again. They are huge, both taking up space in the tank and the require larger holes than their ABS counterparts. There really is no reason to use Sch 80 in an aquarium application, we never experience the pressure that would require them.

If someone is cracking the ABS bulkheads they are using them incorrectly. You should have no issues with ABS on 12 mm glass.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I glued by pvc directly to my abs bulkheads. (Slipxslip)

There is what's called a "transition glue" which bonds pvc to abs, but from what I read regular pvc glue makes a good enough bond for these types of low pressure applications.

Just throwing that out there

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store