Wet spot problems?

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Has anyone ever had problems with fish from the wet spot. I've been going there for 10 years and have never had a problem until now. I got two groups of chromides a few weeks apart. The first batch started dying a week after I bought them. I thought it was me cause I saw some ich. So, I treated the ich but 5 died. I went back to get 5 more, at 25 dollars a piece. Now two days after getting them they are starting to die. It's too soon for it to be me, they are in quarantine right now. Anyway this is very upsetting and I don't know if I can ever go to the wet spot again. Anyone? Oh, and I think it's parasites now, they have white stringy poo. I think it's too late for most of them but, how would you guys treat this. My water is 7.2 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I have mail ordered from them several times and even coming up to Alaska the stock has always been healthy and larger than advertised. Shipping is a bear though!

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
My friend ordered a gulper cat and it died a week later. Caught a case of ich. But today started gasping for air at surface and died. Even after he did a water change when he first saw the behavior it still died. But Ive ordered from them and a local store does too so I think they probably got a bad shipment

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have 5 wild caught E suratensus from Wet Spot, had them since July without a problem.
But there is always a chance, especially with wild caught fish, that they may contain internal parasites nature.
Don't know if yours are the Greens too, but these species also prefer much warmer temps than most average tropicals, high 80s are not out of range. They prefer brackish water and are very prone to ich if even slightly chilled.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have 5 wild caught E suratensus from Wet Spot, had them since July without a problem.
But there is always a chance, especially with wild caught fish, that they may contain internal parasites nature.
Hard to argue with this one....

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ordered 2 vieja heterospilus a couple of weeks ago and both are doing fine. Ive been feeding the m Epsom soaked pellets and doing a 4 day treatment qith general cure just incase

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There is always a risk when buying fish from any wholesale supplier, and not just wild fish. Note that the import facility mentioned in the following study was based in Portland, Oregon, where Wet Spot is located. The study took place just last year.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23294440/

Imported ornamental fish are colonized with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Abstract
There has been growing concern about the overuse of antibiotics in the ornamental fish industry and its possible effect on the increasing drug resistance in both commensal and pathogenic organisms in these fish. The aim of this study was to carry out an assessment of the diversity of bacteria, including pathogens, in ornamental fish species imported into North America and to assess their antibiotic resistance. Kidney samples were collected from 32 freshwater ornamental fish of various species, which arrived to an importing facility in Portland, Oregon from Colombia, Singapore and Florida. Sixty-four unique bacterial colonies were isolated and identified by PCR using bacterial 16S primers and DNA sequencing. Multiple isolates were identified as bacteria with potential to cause disease in both fish and humans. The antibiotic resistance profile of each isolate was performed for nine different antibiotics. Among them, cefotaxime (16% resistance among isolates) was the antibiotic associated with more activity, while the least active was tetracycline (77% resistant). Knowing information about the diversity of bacteria in imported ornamental fish, as well as the resistance profiles for the bacteria will be useful in more effectively treating clinical infected fish, and also potential zoonoses in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store