New cats- Venezuelan hammerhead / Guyana slope heads / whatever you wanna call em

jrance4585

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2011
nj
Just picked the guys up a few weeks ago. Ageneiosus marmoratus. Still a bit shy but when they are calm they are the most active cats I've ever seen. I'll try to get video. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any experience with them, not too much info on them.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Most active cats youve ever seen?....have all the other been dead? Mine is 9-10" I maybe see him move once every other day. Not gunna lie though even sitting still hes close to my favorite fish....just so cool

jrance4585

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2011
nj
Most active cats youve ever seen?....have all the other been dead? Mine is 9-10" I maybe see him move once every other day. Not gunna lie though even sitting still hes close to my favorite fish....just so cool
What??? I have a huge power head in my tank and I've watched one swim into it 2" away for at least 20 min straight! Hope they keep it up.

I will say though that they don't like full light in the tank. Tend to just sit around if I put the light on high for a while.

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Mine swims up right infront of the power head...and just lays down lol maybe mines just more lazy, my tank is super brightly lit so he usually just lays in the shadows and that might be the difference too

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They should move a lot by nature.

Watch out for aggression. In a small tank, they will fight, sooner or later. It may come unexpectedly - fine for days, weeks, months and then you wake up to one being in the mouth of the other. Been reported plenty. I've seen it personally too. They are solitary, territorial fish, not social. They are very resilient and do come back from horrifying wounds too, not that this should make it right.

jrance4585

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2011
nj
They should move a lot by nature.

Watch out for aggression. In a small tank, they will fight, sooner or later. It may come unexpectedly - fine for days, weeks, months and then you wake up to one being in the mouth of the other. Been reported plenty. I've seen it personally too. They are solitary, territorial fish, not social. They are very resilient and do come back from horrifying wounds too, not that this should make it right.

That's actually very helpful and very surprising to me as I had heard the opposite, that they did better in groups (was actually considering adding another). Do you still own yours? Any pics / additional info would be great.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Very cool looking. They look like sharks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store