glasscages

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
I just bought a new 240 gallon tank from glass cages and there reputation isn't very good but all of the negative feed back is from 2010. So a bad year maybe? Can I trust this thing to hold water? thanks.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have never personally known anyone with a complaint about their tanks.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Tank will hold water until the silicone seal fails. LOL! After having a tank fail, I would never buy a product from that company again.

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
did you make sure the stand was level and there was 3/4 inches of foam between the tank and stand?

flyingfox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
CT
I was not aware of any issues with there aquariums....good to know though. I did call them for a price on a new tank but the shipping was as much as the tank.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
did you make sure the stand was level and there was 3/4 inches of foam between the tank and stand?
Why do only their aquariums require 3/4 inches of foam between the tank and stand? I have over 30 aquariums, some over 30 years old and never used foam underneath the tank. Their tanks are cheap for a reason.

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Aquariums don't have to have foam but it reduces the stress on the silicone. But I think for every failed aquarium they build 100 good ones. Bad news travels a lot faster than good news.

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
All foam does is reduce stress on the seams. And if your stand isn't level one side will have more stress. I think for every dud they build they build a hundred good ones. Bad news travels a lot faster than good news.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
bought a 300g from them several years ago with starfire glass. picked up locally and built my own stand out of plywood and 2x4s. I do have it sitting on 1/2 in piece of foam for the added measure but not sure it was needed. So far I have had zero issues with the tank or the craftsmanship and would highly recommend them regardless of what other reviews say.

you will always have bad news that gets highlighted but what those reviews don't say is who built their stand, who set it up etc...It is very easy for someone to build a sub par stand that will cause stress on the seams and cause a failure so take that into consideration when reading the reviews.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
foam for the seams? I am under the opinion you line the top of the stand with foam or card card board to prevent the bottom from cracking from inconstancy of the flat surface. large tank, little lump can be a big problem. never thought about it being a seam issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store