Great news!

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Since nobody I hang out with understands my obsession with fish, I have to post my good news here. My 150 is almost cycled! The ammonia has been processing within 24 hours, last night I checked the nitrites and they were 5+ppm. I redosed to 3-4ppm ammonia last night, this morning ammonia is at 0, nitrites are right between 0-.25, and then nitrates are around 80.

Since I don't have any fish yet, should I do a water change before redosing with ammonia to confirm the cycle or just leave it be until I plan on actually putting fish in there?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would do a water change, though I haven't done a fishless cycle since I discovered SafeStart and Stability. I cycle tanks in like 3 days lol.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Since nobody I hang out with understands my obsession with fish, I have to post my good news here. My 150 is almost cycled! The ammonia has been processing within 24 hours, last night I checked the nitrites and they were 5+ppm. I redosed to 3-4ppm ammonia last night, this morning ammonia is at 0, nitrites are right between 0-.25, and then nitrates are around 80.

Since I don't have any fish yet, should I do a water change before redosing with ammonia to confirm the cycle or just leave it be until I plan on actually putting fish in there?

Do not do a water change until the tank is cycled. At that time, do a massive water change just prior to adding your fish to remove the nitrates. The nitrates will be sky high at the end of cycling. Congratulations on fishless cycling.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'd advice stocking it slowly to make sure the tank is keeping up.
If it's been processing 3-4 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours and I stock slowly wouldn't that cause some of the bacteria to die off? I had already planned to start with my smaller fish and lighter bio load and letting them grow out a bit before adding the larger fish.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
it will all be good, once you have no nitrite reading you are ready for fish. do the water change and get the nitrate down to 5 or less and add fish. your BB will be fine.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
barring a loss of oxygen the BB does not die easy.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
barring a loss of oxygen the BB does not die easy.
Awesome awesome awesome. Yeah I'll hold off on fish until it's a definitive zero with the nitrites. I was actually hoping the cycle would take about another week anyways so I could finish doing everything I need like building a spraybar and putting plants in, but I won't complain that it didn't take a long time.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I'd watch the nitrites for a while. When we fishless cycled our tank, it took several weeks for the nitrites to drop. Nitrates were at 160 ppm at the end of cycling. You could have a die off of bacteria if the fish you add produce less than 4 ppm of ammonia that the tank was cycled to.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'd watch the nitrites for a while. When we fishless cycled our tank, it took several weeks for the nitrites to drop. Nitrates were at 160 ppm at the end of cycling. You could have a die off of bacteria if the fish you add produce less than 4 ppm of ammonia that the tank was cycled to.
The majority of my fish will be added at once, namely a shoal of rainbowfish and a bichir, however they're a lighter bioload. That's where I'm nervous about bacteria dying off. My other two larger fish I plan on adding, an oscar and severum, will go in once the others grow a little. You think the bacteria will be able to repopulate itself without any complications if I'm adding in the oscar and severum as juveniles?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store