What is the difference between a DELHEZI and a WEEKSII Bichir???!!!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Weeksii get larger up to 20in more. Have a dark grey green top coloring. Larger head compared to a del. Less finlets compare to a del. Dels have a gray top coloring with hints of green/yellow. More finlets and on average 7-8 bands. Stay around 12 inches in size.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Dels are more readily available than weeksii. So if u see it in a lfs and question b/w the two and no one can confirm and no access to mfk with pics. Then I'd likely say a Delhezi.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
For a good read, the topics that are sticky threads for polys are good. One shows the main varieties

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Weeksi- notably larger (sub adult)

And this is the delhezi (much younger)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Those dels have some nice patterns on them. If urs then I'm a bit jealous. They're potential for brilliant patterns is good.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Those dels have some nice patterns on them. If urs then I'm a bit jealous. They're potential for brilliant patterns is good.

Thanks :D I raised them since they were only 3" haha very glad to see them so large, it sucks because I had to switch my dels and teugs to white sand so there colors have turned more white and light brown, they're in the tank with the weeksii now so I hope they re-color up.

Heres a top op view of it now.

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
The Op's question has been answered quite nicely. I will emphasize again the comment on size. While they are both upper jaw Bichirs, Weeksii tend to attain lower jaw sizes. Dels are a nice small to mid size poly that are easy to house, Weeksii requires much more room.
IMHO Dels are the most beautifully patterned of all poly's as SawickB has helped demonstrate.

I will attach a few pics for the OP to show a few more variations

Here is a 12 weeksii and a 12" del to compare at that size

image.jpg

image.jpg

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Quite a difference in head shape also. Weeksii are called 'fat head' for a reason, their head is pretty massive compared to other bichir. They also retain external gills for a lot longer.
My weeksii
2isify9.jpg

The del has a smaller head that goes more to a point
1i0bpw.jpg

2isify9.jpg

1i0bpw.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store