Can freshwater stingray get ich?

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Hi, planning to get some clown loaches, after some research I understand they are susceptible to ich. I have searched the internet about Ich and stingrays without much luck. Anyone have personal experience in this regard? If they do get ich, what's the best way to treat it? ( I heard salt burns the ray if they touch it)

Also would 6" + loach get along with 4-5" BD's?

Thanks.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
You stated you sold your black diamonds for your asking price in the Canada marketplace section? Did you buy new ones?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Qt your loaches before adding them to the ray tank.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Hi, planning to get some clown loaches, after some research I understand they are susceptible to ich. I have searched the internet about Ich and stingrays without much luck. Anyone have personal experience in this regard? If they do get ich, what's the best way to treat it? ( I heard salt burns the ray if they touch it)

Also would 6" + loach get along with 4-5" BD's?

Thanks.
Rays don't get ick but the problem you will have is the big water changes rays need which may give you big temp swing making the loach get ick then it will be hard to treat the ick with rays in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
My rays long ago killed all my loaches so I would be more worried about that first before I would be worried about ich.

A 6" clown loach may pic on the rays and like stated big water changes=cooler water and possible chance for the loach or loaches to get ich. Also when rays are adults some people use cooler water to induce breeding which wouldn't be good for the loach or loaches.

Salt doesn't hurt when used correctly with rays as it's one of the go to remedies for numerous things with rays.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
And Rays grow much much faster than loach

Loach grow super slow and the massive ones you see take ages to get that big

If you put a 6" loach with a 6" Ray the Ray will be 12" and the loach will still be 6.1/8"

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
My 18" female Motoro let's my 6" loaches alone. Just my experience. Sometimes I notice ripped fins on them but I've never seen any aggression from her toward the loaches.uploadfromtaptalk1418440124677.jpg

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Nice, thanks for the input and heads ups, yeah I sold 5 BD, have 3 more for myself. The water change is an interesting point! I sure glad I made a drip system to avoid that issue. I understand loaches grow slow, never imagined to be as described above! I would definitely reconsider about getting them. Also thanks for the pic, I was worried if they'd survive bare bottom tanks, now I know thats not an issue!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store