Can you use a sump pump as a pump for a large aquarium?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Probably not very energy efficient either

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
If I recall correctly they have oil in them as well. They are designed to operate with a high head but they are not exactly designed to move a lot of water quickly. The larger ones that move a lot of water are huge compared to an aquarium pump of equivalent GPH. Further, they tend to be expensive.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I had a sump pump in the basement of my house my house and it ran very little.

Typically during a long heavy rain, it would run for 45 seconds or so, then turn off for 5-10 minutes, then repeat. It would not run for weeks as well. They aren't designed for extended continuous usage as other types of pumps might be and while some types can be submerged and can run non stop for a while, they will not last years like an aquarium pump if used that way.

Some submersible ones also have temperature maximums that are too low for tropical aquariums. Note that home sump pumps are often designed to pump groundwater which almost always will be in the 35-55 F range. Pumps with a 70 F maximum (and yes some have those) would be fine as a groundwater pump, but not for a tropical aquarium.

The oil leakage issue is 'probably' not a concern as generally speaking intentionally leaking oil into groundwater near urban dwellings would be an EPA violation, but the amount from a sump pump 'might' be small enough to pass EPA thresholds. That amount 'might' still be enough to be a hazard to fish.

In short, not a good option for aquariums as the design applications are sufficiently different as to make it inappropriate.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
They are loud too.

I could see using one for transferring water during water changes or something but not running continuously

Your electric meter would spin in circles lol

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store