HELP! Flowerhorn has weird pimple like structure on his head

callmelavender

Feeder Fish
Dec 12, 2014
USA
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah200/jackieresnik/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-12-11-21-41-15_zps0e7930ca.png

I hope that link works. It's a pic of my flowerhorn. He is two years old and lives in a 75 gal tank. My sister has been watching him for the past year while I'm away at school and she only recently informed me of his condition today. I have no idea what this is or how I can treat it. His behavior hasn't change and is still active however my sister said that the last time he ate was Wednesday night, two nights ago. Please let me know if you have any clues as to what this is and if you need more information from me. There are more tank details listed below.

!: What is the size and dimensions of your tank and what SPECIES of fish do you have?

my tank is a 75 gal. I have a flowerhorn and a eclipse catfish

:!: How long has it been set up? Is it CYCLED?

it has been set up for two and a half years and is cleaned at least once a month if not twice.

:!: What are your water parameters:

Temperature = 82 degrees, ammonia (NH3/4) =0.25ppm, nitrite (NO2)= 0 ppm, pH= 7.0, and nitrate (NO3)= 5.0 ppm

:!: How long have you had the fish and what symptoms do they have? What do you FEED them? Have you introduced any new fish recently? What is your MAINTENANCE schedule, and what product/s (if any) do you use to neutralize chlorine or chloramines in your TAP WATER?
The last water change was done two days ago. He is still active and has not been eating for two days. I have had him for two years. recently while my other tank had to be shut down in order to renovate A tiger oscar was placed into the tank with the flowerhorn and a divider was put in place. the tiger oscar has since been removed as his tank was up and running again. I feed the fish chiclid pellets. Prime freshwater is used to remove chlorine from the tank.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
why do you have ammonia? Something is wrong with the cycle of your tank or there is too much waste in the tank. Do a 50% water change.

Looks like a bacterial infection. I don't know whether it is caused by gram positive or gram negative bacteria so treat for both. You need to move the flowerhorn to a quarantine tank. Then I would add salt at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, dissolving first before adding to the tank. I would start off with treating Erythromycin, follow the directions. Test ammonia and nitrite everday, changing 50% of the water when ammonia or nitrites hit 0.5ppm. RE-dose the salt and Erythromycin for the amount of water removed. After you do the maximum number of treatments with Erythromycin do 90% water change or run carbon in the tank for 1 day.

Then treat with Seachem Kanaplex, follow the directions for the number of maximum dosage. Keep doing the salt treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store