Asian aquarium filtration

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I watch a lot of videos of fish on YouTube, and I have noticed a theme - there are some crazy monster tanks in Asia! Like a whole bunch of of HUGE fish in a large but, not enormous, aquarium. And they often seem to look like beautiful healthy specimens despite being kept in more crowded conditions than many will advocate. Which made me wonder if anyone knows what the most common kind of filtration used in Asia on these large tanks are... It must be quite efficient! Anyone know?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
It's not the filtration, but the massive water change. Many Asian fish stores are small and space is a premium. So packing fish to the maximum is a necessity to maximize stock. Yes, many Asian stores prebag fish every morning to save time netting fish for clients, and dump them back to tanks at night if they are unsold.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most are filtered by sumps, but of course the design & efficiency of a sump can vary greatly.

And as already stated water changes is key in heavily stocked systems. A friend of mine in town had his heavily stocked 500 gallon tank filtered by a 180 gallon sump I believe, but more importantly he had that tank on an auto drip system that flushed approx 400 gallons of fresh water into his tank every 24 hrs.

In heavily stocked tanks, short of an auto water change system you better get used to being married to your garden hose. lol

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
From what I've seen overhead filters are commonly used in Asia, which are pretty much just overhead wet/dry or drip filters. But I agree water changes are the major factor.

ohf2.jpg

ohf.jpg

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Those stackable box filters are really popular here. Its either these or sump filters. Plus lots of water change. Once every 2-3 days.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Overhead filter by design has several advantages over sump system:

(1) It is more energy efficient because it only needs to lift the water by a small head,
(2) It is flood safer because there is no drilling and no plumbing outside the tank footprint,
(3) It is quieter because there is no flushing of water out of the drain.

If not because it is hard to hide the filter, overhead filter would be more popular.

One popular overhead filter in US is Marineland Eclipse system, but it is only used for small tanks.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, I was talking about huge fish in large aquariums, not in the fish markets. I know those can get pretty crazy. I figured water changes were a big part of it, but unless privet aquariums are doing 100% changes per day they must also have good filters. My curiosity if peeked with the over head filters because in a pinch I made a very rude version of this kind of filter and it works extremely well, so I have kept using it. I literally just drilled holes in a 1g pitcher and pump water in the topand down through a bunch of filter floss and biomedia. I am really curious in trying to design a few DIY like this for my large aquarium build...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store