11 year old convict may be dying!

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
Hello, my deffinitely 10 , maybe 11 year old female convict cichlid is my first serious fish I ever owned, she has seen many fish come and go and has defended herself against some beasts in the passed. She has had many fry with a few different fish over the years but most recently she proved a theory wrong with her viable young when she partnered with a male red Ceibal that I own. The last month she has slowed down a lot and was using plants to keep herself stationary, but she was eating normally at feeding times and still do. I went away for couple days and when I cam home she was gone so I looked around the tank and found her jammed behind driftwood, I assume to stay out of the way of the other fish in the tank, her fin is down the "boney" parts close to her stomach and the other is starting to turn white, under her jaw she also has a patch that looks like decay and not a wound. Her right eye is also glazed over white but was for a week or two now. I am wondering because it has taken place very slowly over month or two is it natural way of her slowing down before she dies or is this something I can seperate her and treat her for. The fish in my tank seem to have never been more healthy and everybody is feeding normally if not more then usually, even the plants in my tank are growing better lately. I don't want to sit and watch this happen but while she was still feeding in wasn't this worried until now.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
That's quite a respectable age for a Con, my guess is old age

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
11 years? wow... I wanna say old age but I wouldn't give if u have had her for that long.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
you didn't mention what sort of tank mates grandma con was living with
doesn't really matter though I'd recommend getting her into an ambulatory tank or moving them out before they start euthanizing her.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
my guess is the age is whats causing it too. thats an old fish.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
if your fish is still alive I'd recommend adding more aeration and removing ALL of the other fish even plecos.
The only fish you could trust with her would be an Otocinclus. Start saving water. I put my plastic water jugs (w no caps) up on a sunny windowsill for about 48 hours. That gives the chlorine time to escape. Glass works faster. Once you have enough do regular daily water changes with a small hose. Aggressive water changes will cause unnecessary stress which can be avoided via small hose.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Good job on giving a con a nice long life. I would love to see pics as well. Hope she is able to pull through.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store