A memorial to my dad - not your typical tank build.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My father passed away from the complications of lung and liver cancer on December 10th 2014 @ 10:13pm.

My father had always been an avid fish keeper since the late 50's during the days of steel framed tanks.

Nobody could breed fish like my father could. He did it for a living in our family's basement from 1989-1997 so he could be a stay at home dad.

uploadfromtaptalk1418422960603.jpg
26 - 40 gallon breeders on racks. (1994 or 1995?) He had a huge noisy blower. Air was on tap in most rooms of the house upstairs for his beautiful display tanks. He's the reason I'm into this wonderful hobby.

So I'm left now with a dozen or so small tanks full of his prized fish. Mostly common stuff. Albino corries, Guppys, mollies, albino bristlenose, zebra danios, gouramis. I live in an apartment with no room to accommodate his stock.

To this day was hella old school. Box / sponge filters exclusively. No power filters. Still rocking Under gravel filters too. He did monthly water changes and utilized duckweed to keep nitrates in check.

He often shook his head at my sumps, canisters, and high gph pumps.

My mother manages and runs a successful resale store which helps fund the nonprofit hospice where my father passed.

The best thing I can think of doing would be setting up a large tank in display at the store full of all of his fish as a memorial to my father.

Im Going to honor his wishes by keeping all that "fancy crap" out of the build. I'm planning on utilizing a 125g (if I can locate one used) running 3 whisper 60 power filters (the only power filter I ever saw him use) and jump starting the tank with his round green box filters that are older than I am.

Im sure most of these community fish he has will coexist in a 125 together just fine.

Im really excited to share this and start the build. I feel like this is the coolest parting gift I can give to my father.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So sorry to hear about your loss, and best of wishes on your memorial set up. I'm sure that you'll do your father proud.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I am very sorry to hear about your father!! That is so cool that you want to do something like this for him.. I'm sure he is looking down watching everything you are doing with them!!! Keep us posted with some pictures and updates!!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Here's what he's got left setup

uploadfromtaptalk1418426655990.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418426669605.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418426750934.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418426769676.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418426787003.jpg

To be honest im not sure if he's done anything but feed them since September when he was diagnosed.

Om going to try and avoid doing a million water changes and get the 125 set up before I return to work on Wednesday.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Holy cow, man....I am so sorry for your loss!

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Really sorry for your loss! He must have meant a lot to you since he introduced you to the aquarium hobby and everything.. He was the one who got you started. And looks like still has his old traditions going I see after what you told us. Duckweed to control nitrate! :) Well, RIP to your Dad. Dude I wish I had some of those oldschool steel frame tanks.. seriously man, really awesome back-in-the-day stuff.. collectors would be all over those tanks! You're lucky your Dad has passed them down to ya. :)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
my condolences. Sounds like He was a great guy and dad! your ideal is great one! both my parents are passed, but they are anything but gone.

I still ask them questions about life, and know exactly what they would say and can see them saying it. you will be asking him about the tank as you build it. whither you know it or not.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks for all your condolences. At this point I am just very thankful and relieved that his suffering has ended. He went out on his own terms and was giving me a hard time until the very very end. The mood was light he kept me laughing.

I dont have any of his steel frame tanks. I have no idea what happened to them. We moved in 1999 and he got rid of dozens of tanks. Ive got a few of his AGA tanks from the late 80's and early 90's. Some I resealed. Some I have not but still hold water.

I've got $500 burning a hole in my pocket. Im heading out Tonight to round up equipment and supplies.

I decided to keep all of his tacky ceramic ornaments. I'm sort of a purist and like keeping my tanks as natural looking as possible and free of visible equipment. .. but I'll have to bite my tongue on this one.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
from the looks of the poster in the top pic he appears to have had a bit of hippy in him. being a bit old hippy myself that stuff was cool. hence the large castle in the 145.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Big time old hippie. Woodstock, sabotaging draft records, SDS, dodging tear gas - you name it he did it. The man stood up for what he believed in and had lived his entire life as a true pacifist. I am sad to say he did more cool stuff than I ever will in 2 lifetimes.

He was Coolest most relaxed man I've ever met. Never did anything to harm another human being his whole life. He had integrity and generosity that were beyond what most people can understand.

It's hard cleaning out the house. He had a medicine cabinet that would make Hunter S. Thompson blush.

But enough about him. This website is about fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store