120 gallon stocking

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
I am getting a 120 gallon 4x2x2 and I don't know what to stock it with. I know it's not the monster tank that a lot of you guys have, but it's my first tank bigger than like ten gallons (i'm 15) I want fish that will be easy to train onto pellets, but I like oddball fish. Maybe a gar or two, a ray, (I know they can't live in there for their entire lifespan) clown knife, fire eel, (I have heard they are very hard to pellet train) bichir, Feel free to suggest anything, not just fish like what I have listed above. Any and all advice and suggestions are appreciated. Also, how should I setup the tank, decorations, substrate, etc? Keep in mind they can outgrow this tank, I have a buddy with a huge tank (don't know the exact gallon amount - something like 500-600 gallons) that will take the fish when they outgrow my tank.

Thanks guys

P.S. I know i'm only fifteen which is pretty young, but I am very responsible and I don't want anyone commenting saying that I shouldn't be keeping certain fish because they require a lot of attention. Just because I am fifteen doesn't mean I am incapable of providing a good home for these animals. I am just an aspiring monster fish keeper trying to get into the hobby.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I only do larger cichleds, discus be good or angles. I would not go oscars, jags or JD. being a tall tank you looking for fish that not need a large foot print and school.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
before you get any fish please research them, find out what decided on fish needs.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
lot of folks know more than me on this will defer to them, but any larger aggressive cichlids out. and being a tall tank you want something that likes a tall tank .

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would go discus with some bottom dwellers. you have time as it will take 6 to 8 weeks to cycle the tank up unless you have HoB and canister filter that is seeded to move to it.

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
A 15 yr old with a 120g? Awesome! There is no doubt in my mind that teens can be very dedicated fish keepers.

If you really want oddballs that are easy to train to pellet, I'd recommend bichirs. They are very interesting, many won't outgrow your 120, are practically bionic, and love pellets. Upper jaws tend to be more active and smaller, with the exception of ornates and teugelsi.

They can be housed in a very basic aquascape, and since they occupy the lower levels you can get interesting mid level swimmers as well.

O

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Have you considered natives? A nice sunfish community with central longears would look nice. Ohio is a good place to be a native keeper as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store