Pellet training breidohris.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I have 3 lovely breidohris in a 30 gallon growout tank and they're very nice fish. They eat brine shrimp, krill, blood worms and veggies and rarely leave leftovers. I've been trying to feed them Southern Delight small cichlid pellet and New Life Spectrum Thera A+ 1mm for months but they simply spit it out. They were raised on flake food for their entire lives (they are only 3 inches) but I don't feed flakes to my fish unless they're smaller fish like tetras and corydoras. I've tried seachem garlic guard too and they still won't eat it. They eat algae wafers quite well so they obviously do accept dry foods. Please forgive their slight bloat, too much protein. Photos taken with my crappy iphone.

Pics: IMG_1359[1].JPGIMG_1348[1].PNG

IMG_1359[1].JPG

IMG_1348[1].PNG

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
They spit the pellets out because you keep feeding frozen foods. They also appear to be grossly overfed, that puffed out gut is from too much food, not excess protein.

You either train the fish, or allow the fish to train you.
It's really that simple.

It's not rocket science, but there is some skill involved, and in some cases you need to have great patience, and be smarter than the fish. :)

Stop feeding frozen food, then once each AM offer them a few pellets that have been soaked in frozen blood worm juice. Lightly soak the pellets with bloodworm juice for 4-5 minutes before feeding using a small pipette. Just enough to cover the pellets to slightly soften them up. Within 7-10 days no more need to pre-soak.

Using bloodworm juice as a stimulant is a natural for your fish, the smell triggers a feed response, the pellet becomes more palatable because it is softer, and the taste/smell is very familiar to the fish. Even if the fish resists it initially, usually they will start picking at the pieces of pellet at the bottom of the tank. Once they start even eating small pieces off the bottom, you are on the road to success. Once they are eagerly eating the presoaked pellets slowly decrease the BW soaking until you are eventually feeding the pellets directly out of the jar.

I've lost count as to how many wild caught fish I have trained to eat pellets over the years. Ditto to several juvenile flowerhorn imported from Thailand that had been raised on a strict diet of fresh BW, and had never seen a pellet in their life. Juvenile fish are generally very easy to convert to whatever food that you want. Most take to it straight away, others are more stubborn and require some serious effort.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
They spit the pellets out because you keep feeding frozen foods. They also appear to be grossly overfed, that puffed out gut is from too much food, not excess protein.

It's really that simple.

It's not rocket science, but there is some skill involved, and in some cases you need to have great patience, and be smarter than the fish. :)

Stop feeding frozen food, then once each AM offer them a few pellets that have been soaked in frozen blood worm juice. Lightly soak the pellets with bloodworm juice for 4-5 minutes before feeding using a small pipette. Just enough to cover the pellets to slightly soften them up. Within 7-10 days no more need to pre-soak.

Using bloodworm juice as a stimulant is a natural for your fish, the smell triggers a feed response, the pellet becomes more palatable because it is softer, and the taste/smell is very familiar to the fish. Even if the fish resists it initially, usually they will start picking at the pieces of pellet at the bottom of the tank. Once they start even eating small pieces off the bottom, you are on the road to success. Once they are eagerly eating the presoaked pellets slowly decrease the BW soaking until you are eventually feeding the pellets directly out of the jar.

I've lost count as to how many wild caught fish I have trained to eat pellets over the years. Ditto to several juvenile flowerhorn imported from Thailand that had been raised on a strict diet of fresh BW, and had never seen a pellet in their life. Juvenile fish are generally very easy to convert to whatever food that you want. Most take to it straight away, others are more stubborn and require some serious effort.
hmm it may be a little overfed... But Is that a bow front tank? it looks like a bow front distorting the actual image of the fish... as for the dried foods. stop feeding frozen period. they will get used to it after they basically are starved from "the good stuff". they will eat pellets once hungry enough. You can feed frozen after they successfully eat pellets again.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
hmm it may be a little overfed... But Is that a bow front tank? it looks like a bow front distorting the actual image of the fish... as for the dried foods. stop feeding frozen period. they will get used to it after they basically are starved from "the good stuff". they will eat pellets once hungry enough. You can feed frozen after they successfully eat pellets again.
Nah, I just shot the picture from a diagonal angle, I took that picture at 4am and they sleep in the corner.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014

It's really that simple.

Thank you so much. I was though bloat only originated from improper diet (breidohris are mostly herbivores) and bad water quality (the tank always stays at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and water changes when nitrates hit 40) I'm cutting down on feedings now, see if that helps.

ucantkillme89

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Charles County, MD
www.youtube.com
A fish can go more than 2 weeks without eating.
I'd just go 3 days without feeding and then only feed pellets.
Sounds like you may be giving the special food too often. Once a day of the frozen food should be enough.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The bloat issue not withstanding. When I pellet train I feed only pellets, they can eat them or starve. I never had a fish starve itself to death in the presents of food. It is a battle of wills and you have the upper hand.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The bloat issue not withstanding. When I pellet train I feed only pellets, they can eat them or starve. I never had a fish starve itself to death in the presents of food. It is a battle of wills and you have the upper hand.
Agreed. This has been my approach as well.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014

It's really that simple.

Didn't feed yesterday and I tried your bloodworm juice method. They didn't eat it right away and only started to eat once it landed on the sand, but breidohris seem to be bottom feeders from what I've seen from mine and the pair in my LFS display tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store