No Mess fish food?

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Ok so Ive been feeding my fish (larger cichlids) TetraCichlid Jumbo Carnivore Sticks... It seems over half flys out their gills instead of into their stomach, plus it does not sink very well.

Thank fully I have a black painted bottom... Bare bottom so the bright orange bits are easy to see and vac out but very annoying !!! What do you use?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
The problem is you clearly do not have fish that will eat the smaller pieces that fall down, or / and your filter system is inadequate.

In a "well-coordinated" tank, you will have the big guys make a mess, and other fish that pick off the scraps. That, or a better filtration system, is the answer to messy feedings.

If you worry that the big fish are not getting enough to eat - do they look thin, or are they healthy? If they are literally not getting enough to eat - just try another type of pellet, or several different ones - and try them out for yourself. I find that Ken's do not break apart - but not all fish like them.

If you want sinking pellets, don't buy floating pellets...

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
The problem is you clearly do not have fish that will eat the smaller pieces that fall down, or / and your filter system is inadequate.

In a "well-coordinated" tank, you will have the big guys make a mess, and other fish that pick off the scraps. That, or a better filtration system, is the answer to messy feedings.

If you worry that the big fish are not getting enough to eat - do they look thin, or are they healthy? If they are literally not getting enough to eat - just try another type of pellet, or several different ones - and try them out for yourself. I find that Ken's do not break apart - but not all fish like them.

If you want sinking pellets, don't buy floating pellets...
hahah, they do sink just takes a minute. I cant have smaller fish to suck it up because im worried about them becoming dinner. The food gets trapped underlogs and builds up. I have a bare bottom but with drift wood. Finding some smaller loaches maybe like clowns are hard in this area. Only 1-2 inch fish seem to be for sale. My filter is more then enough for the bio load. I also have a large fan I plug in to stir things up. ONTOP of all that, all 4 large drift wood pieces have live plants rooted on them and growing. Helping control water params also.

My issue isn't a health more aesthetic. I hate all those bright orange bits for days.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I know exactly what you are talking about - and YES - there are fish that will do this for you - you just need to tell us what you have already, and we will tell you what would work. (As long as your fish is not a psychotic killer.)

Gotcha - and as I said - all you need is something to eat the scraps - OR, just try a few other types of pellets. Have you tried this already? That would be the obvious fist step - pop in your LFS, and grab a small test packet of something else.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
I know exactly what you are talking about - and YES - there are fish that will do this for you - you just need to tell us what you have already, and we will tell you what would work. (As long as your fish is not a psychotic killer.)

Gotcha - and as I said - all you need is something to eat the scraps - OR, just try a few other types of pellets. Have you tried this already? That would be the obvious fist step - pop in your LFS, and grab a small test packet of something else.
Was looking for a head start on the different types. Asking the community on what they use.
125 gal tank, bare bottom, planted drift wood
2 7 inch Oscars, 1 - 5 inch jack, 1- 5 inch bush fish.
A SUNSUN 5 stage canister with 9V built in UV sterilizer. Good for 150 gals.
1 VERY strong fan, bush fish cant keep up and gets blown around so I keep it off.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
What about some pictus catfish? Or a rainbow shark? Or Hoplo catfish? Or clown/yoy loaches (though as you said they are hard to find big enough).

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It would be very easy to find a catfish or medium sized Cichlid that will pick off the scraps.

Just visit several local stores, and see if anything catches your eye.

There are literally hundreds of possibilities, to go with Oscars - just not what the other guy recommended, since they stay small.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What about switching to a higher quality pellet, that is smaller in diameter, and not a stick? One that the fish will spend more time swallowing, and less time blowing chunks out their gills. One that they will also digest more efficiently vs Tetra.

On a black painted bottom it doesn't matter you feed, it's going to eventually show up, but IMO you can reduce that build up via a higher quality food, such as NLS, or Northfin, in which case you can feed less than you currently are, as both foods contain higher quality ingredients that are more digestible than what you are currently feeding. For oscars that size I would feed a 4mm or 4.5mm pellet, sinking or floating, whatever they prefer.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
+1 gill blow out is typically a sign over to much food at once, esp with Oscars. they will stuff there mouths and blow extra out the gills. quality pellets as mentioned and fed a few at a time. not just dumping them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store