new led lighting

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I just picked up a new marine land double bright light,when I put on the blue lights only the fish go crazy and smash into the tank.I was wondering if anyone else has had that experience.Before this light I bought a Led light with a remote that does every mode you can imagine,but the fish freaked out when the lights changed.So that is why this time I bought one that has two color spectrum's blue and white and all Blue.I cant use the all blue because they freak out.I would like to leave on as night light in blue but I cant.The light is 48 inches long and is on a 400 gallon tank 36 inches tall so need double bright because of height.Any suggestions how to get fish use to blue night light.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I do not think letting the fish smash into the glass Is a good Idea,sounds like a costly experiment.I have some fish for over eight years impossible to replace fish that old and large I don't think its worth the risk.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just a shot in the dark...could you return it and get two smaller ones? Then leave one on the white/blue and the other on the blue to kind of ease them into it? Or use foil with holes in it to kind of limit the light getting through and slowly add more holes to increase the amount of light until you can remove the foil completely?

I have these lights as well, two of the 36" across my 150, but I haven't added fish yet to see if I have the same experience.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Fish do not like the moon light colors. My gars would freak out when I put on the two 15watt actinic night lights

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
My tank is 7 and half feet long have the new light on left side and old one on right side,so one light does a little more than half the tank.I tried the old one with moonlight mode and got the same result,and it is like 16 watts compared to the new one is 30 watts.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Fish generally take much longer to adjust to changes in light intensity compared to humans, and generally respond to startling stimuli by rapid escape maneuvers which are collectively defined as fast start responses. Not a good thing with fast swimming big fish confined in a glass box.

I have a small plug-in LED night light in my fish room that gives off just enough light to keep the room dimly light all night.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I do not think letting the fish smash into the glass Is a good Idea,sounds like a costly experiment.I have some fish for over eight years impossible to replace fish that old and large I don't think its worth the risk.
Try adding an extra powerhead or two along the front and back glass panels. This will create flow that the fish can 'detect' right before smashing into the glass. Your fish may learn to slow down once they hit the current.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I leave a small night light on now its a regular bulb the kind that you keep in your hallway at night and that has been working for years so,you know what they say if its not broke don't fix it.I was wondering if other people had the same problem with moon light as a night light.I am not going to use it and take a chance of my fish getting messed up,but I really like the blue and white light for the time that I leave them on.The colors of the fish never looked so good

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I never had that problem with the moonlights.

But it seemed my fish would never sleep with them on. He'd be swimming about and go crazy when I walked in the room. When the tank is dark and I turn the room lights on, he'd be in the driftwood and it would take him awhile to notice me and come out. Now he just sleeps in pitch dark like always.

I however, found the white lights made my fish looked washed out and I've long switched them out for satellite led's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store