Just passed up opportunity to buy 2 baby yellow tail cudas - mistake?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Stopped by the LFS work and noticed two baby Yellow Tails. They couldn't have been longer than 1.5" - one looked as healthy as a baby fish could, and the other was admittedly a bit thin. They were asking $16 a piece. I hesitated only because I've had bad luck with characins that small in the past (specifically a baby yellow tail) - plus my wife may have literally hit the ceiling when I would have set up a 20 long for them to grow in. Toothy fish are relatively rare around here. Just wondering what you all would have done. I may be able to sneak by there again in a few days, so I could possibly still get them :grinno:

They also had a tank of baby fish, looked a bit like Nile Perch or Dats, they had labeled as "fat bass" - they were predominately silver with very large black eyes, smidge of dark color in the fins..... I should have just taken a damned picture :irked: - any idea what those are though? The best they could tell me there was "It's a fish that eats a lot and gets real big"

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Happy wife equals happy life. Can always setup at a friends place. Then when bigger can acclimate them to your larger tank. Let the friend keep the 20g long as gift if can get it for cheap. Not sure about the other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
You are wise..... I think I'll phone a friend with that plan.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Better to ask forgiveness, than to miss out on a cool fish!

I drive my wife nuts with this hobby, but she knows that I could have much worse addictions�� and let's me do what I love.

Go back & get'em! She'll get over it.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Better to ask forgiveness, than to miss out on a cool fish!

I drive my wife nuts with this hobby, but she knows that I could have much worse addictions😁 and let's me do what I love.

Go back & get'em! She'll get over it.
+1 if she's anything like my Mrs or any other wife she'll find something to nag you about may as well be fish ;):D lol , go get the cudas

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I made a deal with my wife. If she gets another purse, I get another tank. When I want another tank, I buy her a purse.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store