Question on adding fish

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm finished with my fishless cycle. I have ordered fish that will be here Tuesday. Currently I'm just adding ammonia daily to keep the bacteria going. I know I need to do a large water change before acclimating the fish, but I'm also using crushed coral due to my pH being awful. I'd like to do the water change Monday to allow the coral to buffer my water, but not sure if the day of no ammonia being added will kill off bacteria. So what would be the best way to do this?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
how do you plan to solve this issue with the fish in the tank? if you modify the water chemistry inside the tank the water changes will be quite a shock.

I would toss in something to rot now, do your water change monday without adding ammonia but leaving the rotting... and pull the rotting whatever before adding the fish.
going without food is much less harmful than if they were sitting in stagnant water. some, probably the majority, would survive even if you do nothing after a water change monday night.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
how do you plan to solve this issue with the fish in the tank? if you modify the water chemistry inside the tank the water changes will be quite a shock.

I would toss in something to rot now, do your water change monday without adding ammonia but leaving the rotting... and pull the rotting whatever before adding the fish.
going without food is much less harmful than if they were sitting in stagnant water. some, probably the majority, would survive even if you do nothing after a water change monday night.
I just realized I messed up posting this. The pH from my tap is about 7.8-8.2. I added the coral because within 24 hours it was dropping to about 6.4; however, this was during the cycling process which I'm sure had a large impact. Now that the coral is in there the water has remained at 7.8 so there shouldn't be a huge fluctuation during water changes. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store