Which Kind Of Salt For Figure 8 Puffers

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Hi,

I have some figure 8 puffers and when I bought them the store said use 1 tablespoon of course freshwater aquarium salt for each 10 gallons. I have been doing that for about a year and I am wondering if I should use salt water salt instead and if so, how much salt water salt. Also, would I need to let the water sit for a while before I put the puffers in? Thanks!:):):):):):):):):):)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If the puffers are brackish water fish then the aquarium salt probably won't do them much good and you will need to use the salt mix that is used for saltwater aquariums.No need to let the water sit as long as it is dechlorinated and the salt has been fully dissolved.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thank you,

Should I convert them to brackish in one day by acclimating through airline hose of slowly? Also, how much fine grain salt should I use for 40 gallons?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
It depends on how brackish you want the tank to be. A figure 8 can make the shift in a day. I've done leopard puffers from full fresh to full salt in a few hours before with no issues. I'd buy yourself a hydrometer or refractometer so that you can check your salinity levels in your tank and when you mix water for water changes. I'd say shoot for around 12-15ppt, but you can be really flexible with these puffers.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thank you, I have a hydrometer and I will do that.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
They are in brackish water with salt water salt.

Thanks for the information.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That sure is a lot of emoticons for such a short post.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store