Sudden Explosion of worms?!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. Big problem. White worms began popping up on the surfaces of my 180g tank about a week ago, and they are now horrifyingly prolific. There are also a large number of small, 'flea-like' organisms crawling on one section of the glass underwater, inside the tank. I don't know what these guys are, or what to do.

My parameters are (api test administered at time of post):

Ammonia-.33ppm (highest reading in months)
Nitrates- less than 5ppm (lowest reading in ~a month)

My filtration:

fluval 110 with various media

Emporer 400 HOB

Enormous clump of pothos

An impeller keeps the water moving.

Other details:

-The sponge filter in my fluval 110 was floating for a few days, lifting all of the other media out of the water. I cleaned the sponge and replaced it last night. It sank once more.

-There is a large cave on the left side of my tank that seems to be catching a fair amount of debris. I water change every weekend, and vacuum said cave by blasting the debris into my pump with a turkey baster.

-Last water change was 3 days ago--50%

-I realized that light from a window hits about 50% of the tank for a few hours in the morning when I set the tank up, but this has not been a problem in the 6 months it has been running. I put shades on said window yesterday.

The tank houses:

2, 7" polypterus ornatipinnis

11.5" senegalus

10" Faranah Lapradei

3, 4" clown loaches

Ghost shrimp come and go every so often.

Please help!

Pics:
CAM03241.jpgCAM03240.jpg

CAM03241.jpg

CAM03240.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I feed the proper amount of food... Poly's aren't always quick to find and consume it. They also make a mess of their meals, often scattering pieces of massivore and blood worms and never going back to find them. I have been feeding the same portion every day since day one without any issues until month 6. @_@

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Sounds like a common case of plenaria usually caused by over feeding. Excess food could be in the substrate causing the bloom of plenaria. They are harmless and will usually go away on their own. Not a big deal. Just cut back on feeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I have encountered planaria many times--these little worms aren't planaria. They crawl on the glass and spend most of their time clinging and swaying.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
They don't move much at all, in fact.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I agree with the others, IMO the worms look to be either planaria or annelids. Since you said you've had experience before with planaria I'll explain about annelids(dertirus worms). Annelids are often introduced to the aquarium through live plants and can survive both underwater as well as above. If they are indeed annelids they probably snuck in on your pothos. They usually go unnoticed much like planaria until there's a problem such as low oxygen levels, poor Redox and low filter productivity which is often caused by poor cleaning procedures, over crowding, over feeding and or poor filtration. The fact that you've had planaria outbreaks before and may now have a annelid population explosion suggests that more then likely one or more of the above is happening in your tank.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Yeah you picked two good, but very messy foods for polys. Massivore is one of the messiest sticks out there - I prefer Tetra Jumbomin personally. Bloodworms will of course go everywhere, so maybe try something in larger pieces like shrimp or fish fillets.

You can probably knock the worms back with some amount of salt, but you can also use some praziquantel or even general cure to kill them.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
buy some live blackworms and live scuds to dump in after dark. they will colonize the gravel and help eat up all the extra food.
vacuum the gravel weekly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store