ID on Parachromis

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Hello everyone I have a most paticular batch on "Red tiger Motaguense" I bought a while ago at around 1 inch. Now after seeing them grow a while I am pretty hesitant to call them that. I have noticed some inconstancy with them and Motaguense. They don't have the elongated head or much speckling pattern a mota has. My LFS goes through cichlid exchange which I believe goes through Wet Spot and I don't know how good they are with Motas. I am guessing losellei but I'm not sure but they are defiantly not "red tigers".I would appreciate any input.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
yeah. Not freddy. The orange one is Loiselli

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Well the bright yellow one is from a previous batch, Same supplier. I have three now and I can't seem to get a clear picture no matter how hard I tried. Now I ruled out Fred because of the lack of dark vertical bands. While going through some forums I came across this article http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2762 and it looks almost identical to my fish. Now I'm not suggesting anything from that discussion but there are some key similarities.

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Here are some more pics I wish I could get a pic of the bigger one which is a brighter yellow. These bastards killed my myersi which was 3x there size so for them now to be motas would be devastating lol.... They are also they most agressive cichlid I've owned if that helps far more than any managuense or red terror

image.jpg

image.jpg

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Well the bright yellow one is from a previous batch, Same supplier. I have three now and I can't seem to get a clear picture no matter how hard I tried. Now I ruled out Fred because of the lack of dark vertical bands. While going through some forums I came across this article http://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2762 and it looks almost identical to my fish. Now I'm not suggesting anything from that discussion but there are some key similarities.
Here is a female Parachromis 'la cieba' I purchased from Cichlids of the Americas. Her colors have intensified over time. I had a male as well - he was more brownish overall and had lots of dark squiggles on his operculum.

3"
IMG_6188.jpg

4"
la cieba.JPG

This is a female P. loisellei from Cichlid Connection. No hint of black vertical bars although there is the characteristic sheen above the horizontal bar.
loisellei.jpg

la cieba.JPG

loisellei.jpg

IMG_6188.jpg

Reactions: justarn

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Wow fug202 that almost identical to the 2nd batch I have. The three I have are around 2.5" (ones pictured) with one being around 3". The loisellei looks similiar to the first batch(pictured above,bright yellow)I understand LFS mix stuff up etc but I had them special order them and it was through the "cichlid" exchange. Now what would parachromis 'la ceiba' be most related to. Also thanks everyone for there input.

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Parachromis 'la ceiba' hasn't been properly described as far as I know. I believe the article you reference mentions it being a variant or sister species of loisellei, but I've read other accounts that list friedrichsthalii as being most similar. To me it seems more similar to the latter, but without the science it is just speculation.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
My RTM look very similar to yours and they are definitely RTM. Small Parachromis are often confused.

uploadfromtaptalk1418658479128.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418658517853.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418658542622.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store