Vodka or Sugar dosing to reduce nitrates in fresh water system

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Does anyone use vodka (methanol) or sugar (sucrose) to reduce nitrates in a freshwater system? I have been reading about its use in marine systems but can't find any articles regarding its use in fresh. I am going to give it a try with sugar based on a information I have glommed from the saltys. Here is one guys experience.

Sucrose solution:
Sugar is added to water under room temperature till no more can dissolve, assumed to be very close to saturation under room temperature mixing. Unfortunately I did not record the exact concentration. It is prepared 92 days before dosing. Since the date of preparation it has been used everyday till 39 days before the start of dosing. Method of dosing is using the same transfer pipette. The transfer pipette is not washed prior or after use, thus there is possiblity that bacteria got into the sucrose solution and start decomposing the sucrose and multiply (not sure can bacteria live in there), I have this thought because it seems to be faster for me to see the effect this time.

The reason I stop dosing the previous time is because it drives my pH to 7.8 and at that time I also posted to ask Randy about the reason of so. So this time I also included recording the pH and dKH, and I boosted the alkalinity to provide more buffering.

I dose 6 ml of this solution everyday, the reason I choose this amount is from the previous time of dosing, I starrt to have bacterial bloom when dosing 12 ml per day, if I remember correctly from the German site of dosing vodka, they recommend half of that amount.

Day 1 (start of sucrose solution dosing)
Action: 6 ml sucrose solution, 2 spoons of sodium bicarbonate
15 ppm nitrate
pH 8.2
6 dKH

Day 2
Action: 6 ml sucrose solution, 2 spoons of sodium bicarbonate, 1 more fish was added

Day 3
Action: 6 ml sucrose solution, 2 spoons of sodium bicarbonate

Day 4
Action: 6 ml sucrose solution

Day 5

Day 6
0 ppm nitrate (with 1 replicate)
pH 8.1
9 dKH

There is no aparent ill effect on all livestocks. The testing is not done in between because I do not expect nitrate to come down so fast.

Next step for me is probably to stop dosing, and see will nitrate come up. Or probably continue dosing the same amount to see that whether pH came down. Or may be dose 3 ml a day to see whether the nitrate levels maintained. Any suggestion?

This guy is only dealing with 15 PPM where as I am dealing with 80 + PPM. I do weekly 50% changes. I have been doing 3 times a week recently and still can't get it down. I know I will get bombed with pothos suggestions, but for fun I want to try this. I will post my results here. Let me know your experience.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I never heard of this, seams like a watse of good vodka.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
It seems like alot of work for something that works similarly to the holy pothos plant...but its good to try and think outta the box sometimes. Please keep us updated, and try finding more info on the vodka method, would love to hear what fish are like drunk! Haha.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Instead of going through all of that why not try pothos....never mind...you've already spoken about that.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Ok, let me put pothos to bed. The 240 that has the issue with is in the living room. The wife thinks they make it look like a Dr. office. My sump has no room to hang them in because of the socks.
I can't have alcohol in the house so don't worry about me wasting vodka. I will go the sugar route.
I CAN'T HAVE POTHOS

Sent from my car phone

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Funny remark about the pothos giving a Dr. office look to the tank and good luck with the experiment.

sent from my IPhone 7

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Interesting.. but seems like a lot to go through just to avoid a water change. And probably a lot of room for error and wiping everything out as well.

Also, I use very light application of salt and I see salt residue all of the time on stuff... I would hate to see the plague of ants that any sugar residue on stuff could attract.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
just say no to tank aggression, NO VODKA FOR THE JAGS. :ROFL:

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Actually, from reading this again a bit more thoroughly.. I get the concept.. its basically power charging your BB... why not just use ammonia? If you're on top of your parameters (which you would presumably be to do something like this) you can perfectly tune the ammonia drip to its conversion rate.

If you was worried about spikes.. placing the drip after the tank but before filter would probably work and accomplish the same thing.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Spiff, the bacteria that eat nitrate are not the ones that make nitrate. Just like the ones that eat ammonia are not the ones that eat nitrite. There is a whole mess of different boogers at work in a filtration process.

Sent from my car phone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store