Leaving the country for MONTHS, what do I do with my aquarium !

OBlitzO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
New York
I am leaving the country to live and work in China for like 6 months !
While this is exciting, I don't know what do do with my 13 gallon planted community aquarium (and a 2.6 gallon nano invert. tank). Having family or friends care for them isn't an option because they don't want the responsibility. You guys have any ideas ??? Any websites that are good for fish sitters ? How much is a reasonable price for this ?

(They would have to take the tanks for the time I am gone.)

I have a feeling I am screwed but thought asking here might give me some ideas.
Anyone near Queensbury, New York who would like to look after my aquarium(s) ? he he

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
since you have such small tanks I would give the fish to the LFS and break down the tanks clean them out a well a possible and start again when you come back.maybe they will give you a store credit when you decide to set up tanks again.In such small tanks you can get water and used filter media and be up and running in no time.save yourself a lot of worry and expense of having someone come to take care of them.Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You can hire an aquarium service business to come in and take care of the tanks while you're away. With such small, high maintenance set-ups like you have, you should just break it down and donate and/or sell what you can. GL

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Pretty much open and shut case here,if your friends and family can't be bothered with the hassle of looking after your tanks then you'll have to shut them down and restart when you return....unless you want to pay for and place your trust in some maintenance service to come into your home periodically.
There are quite a few MFK members in New York and perhaps you know some of them well enough to have them take on the task.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Pretty much open and shut case here,if your friends and family can't be bothered with the hassle of looking after your tanks then you'll have to shut them down and restart when you return
Frankly, I don't trust anyone, family or friends, who's not an avid fish keeper to feed my fish while I'm away, much less take care of the entire upkeep for 6 months. Sad but true

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Frankly, I don't trust anyone, family or friends, who's not an avid fish keeper to feed my fish while I'm away, much less take care of the entire upkeep for 6 months. Sad but true
Then you are pretty much left with selling your fish off and tearing your tanks down

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I agree with everyone. Better to just shut everything down and restart when you get back. I personally don't trust anyone to feed my fish let alone taking care of them for months at a time. It'll save you the hassle and headaches.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed,I worry about my fish the whole time when I'm away on vacation...I can give someone the simplest of instructions and they will still get something wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store