4" Alligator Gar Info

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello, I am new to MFK and was wondering if anyone had any interesting experiences with alligator gars. I recently bought one at about 4". If anyone had info on their growth rates and feeding habits it would be greatly appreciated if you shared. I know they are supposed to have unbelievable growth rates, but what is a more average growth rate? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cachacase1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
lowell ma
I seen one that was 2 feet in length once at dicks sporting in nc.

They're nice looking fis though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
if its a true alligator gar, they eat EVERYTHING and grow fast, so be prepared. You are talking about a fish that will reach 6 feet in length under good conditions.
I'm unfamiliar with a specific rate at which they grow but my general rule of thumb is if its a monster fish in the making expect 2-3 inches a month at least.

So unless you are prepared for that lets hope you purchased a florida gar that was labeled gator gar as they often are lol. Post some pics!

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
if its a true alligator gar, they eat EVERYTHING and grow fast, so be prepared. You are talking about a fish that will reach 6 feet in length under good conditions.
I'm unfamiliar with a specific rate at which they grow but my general rule of thumb is if its a monster fish in the making expect 2-3 inches a month at least.

So unless you are prepared for that lets hope you purchased a florida gar that was labeled gator gar as they often are lol. Post some pics!
Agree. If its a true gator gar i hope you have a big pond with fish you dont mind losing, they will eat anything small enough, but i wouldnt say they are overly aggressive, just big fish with a big appetite. And depends on water quality and feeding but a healthy gar could be 2-3" a month for the first year or so then will slow down aliitle. Remember this is a fish that can grow over 7' in the wild

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
They grow fastest on a steady supply feeder fish, but will also grow quickly and healthier on floating pellets and frozen foods.

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
This is the alligator gar. I posted him on here to be ID'd and was told he was a true alligator gar. I do have future planning for him but haven't yet got the dimensions of the pond yet. I'm thinking about making this thread into a growth rate thread if anyone would be interested in that. I started him on goldfish and Rosie reds but I plan on trying to train him on pellets. Does anyone have a good way to do that? At what size should I start to try to pellet training? I will post an updated photo later of him which is about a week after I got him. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1419216647.884960.jpg

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Depending on how frequent you feed.. If you keep pumping it with food, expect it to reach 2' in two months time..
Well, that's what happened to mine..

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
For pellets try teacher fish, a big hardy non aggressive fishthatll take pellets readily, then cut out the live food. Pop some pellets in, the gar will see the teacher fish eat and will catch on to it. Just make sure to not give in after a few days and give live. A healthy gar can go a week or two without food.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
H]-[H;7056883 said:
Depending on how frequent you feed.. If you keep pumping it with food, expect it to reach 2' in two months time..
Well, that's what happened to mine..
2' in two months!?! What were you feeding it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store