Questions about DIY acrylic tank

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Well I'm considering building a tank out of acrylic rather than glass, but I will know for sure whether it's financially possible when I go get prices from my local acrylic supplier.

My plan is to go 8x4x2 (lxwxh) outside dimensions, but keep the water level at about 18-20" so my aro has a bit of leeway when he gets spooked. I am thinking of building it all out of 1/2" acrylic and using weld on 4.

My questions would be:

1. I watched the diy joey build videos on youtube and he added one piece at a time, welding each individual piece and making sure that everything was square every time he added another piece. Can you assemble the whole thing, making sure everything is perfect, and then do one round of weldon? Or is it more advisable to do it the way he did?

2. I plan on using one sheet as the top brace. Would this, combined with the dimensions, water height and acrylic thickness, be strong enough?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Another question I have is whether or not it matters if the top bracing sheet is on top or inside the aquarium. I've read that 1/2" Should be enough. Do you have experience building tanks KAWAMIKIE?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Another question I have is whether or not it matters if the top bracing sheet is on top or inside the aquarium. I've read that 1/2" Should be enough. Do you have experience building tanks KAWAMIKIE?
I had a similar thread for a 6'x4'x2'. The answer I got is 1/2" will do but to be safer 3/4" is better. I figured with proper bracing 1/2" would be good. The price quote I got was 1230$, that's for all the acrylic cut to size for me. The 30" tall 400 gallon I got was built out of 1/2" acrylic properly braced and it held great

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I've built a few acrylic tanks with weld-on 4. None lasted more than 4 years. Wish I knew about the weld-on 40 before I retired those tanks. Had I just poured fillets of weld-on 40 in all the seams, those tanks could have been restored, and could have lasted quite a long time. So if I were to build another acrylic tank today, even if I joined all the seams with weld-on 4 (which I probably wouldn't), afterwards I'd definitely pour fillets of weld-on 40 in all the seams for extra reinforcement. There really is no excuse not to.

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
subscribed. I'm looking at options for something bigger long term, curious to see what you do.

who are you looking at for the acrylic?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
There's about 10 different companies in Edmonton that I have got quotes from. I've narrowed it down to sabic and EM plastics. The only problem with EM is that I want to do a full lid and they don't cut out holes, so I would have to do it myself and I cant say I trust myself not to crack a $400 piece of acrylic. lol

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Yeah, the cost makes the idea of doing anything really frightening, and I can generally build most stuff...

invest in a decent rotary tool and a bunch of quality bits, and sacrifice a goat to the acrylic gods. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store