Post more pics.

EDIT- how large are they?

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Looking at these on my computer, the fish appear to be subadults at about a foot in length. With that consideration in mind, I can draw a bit better of a conclusion. I consider these fish to be capapretum based on the morphology of the spots, but I'll admit that they appear to be at a size where it gets a bit inconclusive.

In young specimens of capapretum, the spots are larger than the eyes and have a more vivid contrast with the body. In young specimens of filamentosum, the spots are smaller than the eyes and don't have as high of a contrast.

EDIT-

It's not the picture I wanted to use, but with the search function broken, I can't find it. Here is a picture of a young capapretum and a young filamentosum side by side. Obviously these fish are about half the size of the ones in the OP, but it still illustrates the point fabulously well. When the fish are together, the difference is as obvious as a tigrinum and juruense.

View attachment 1051632

Pic courtesy cgibby.

kyang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
Singapore (Singapura)
Hi firstly, thank you for the effort made in posting such a comprehensive reply!

They are around 10-12 inches. These are the only pictures I managed to get from the seller. I'll try asking for more.

From what I understand, capapretum have spots much larger than filamentosum, often twice the size of their eyes and more. They also have much shorter whiskers which do not extend beyond the adipose fin.

However I've seen contradicting information on the difference in base colour in juveniles. I assume the lighter based piece in the picture you posted is the capapretum?

That said, these specimen seem to have spots larger than their eyes, but the whiskers are substantially longer than what I expect from a capapretum. Based on the base colour as well these pieces seem to lean towards capapretum?

I'll try to get more pics but any further clarification will be appreciated!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
There is a buttload of confusion on the description of these two fish. I would consider the length of the maxillary barbels to be a poor indicator of species; they are easily broken/bitten off and then regrown. On top of that, capapretum will also have maxillary barbels that are longer than the length of the fish when young.

Here is a good picture from Dr. John Lundberg, via Planet Catfish, who is the man who described B. capapretum and revised the genus. You can see that the maxillary barbels on the capa are significantly longer than the length of the fish.

fila capa.jpg

Capa above, Fila below. Source.

Planet Catfish also shows a capapretum at about the same size as those that you are considering that looks strikingly like yours. The original pic of the B. filamentosum that cgibby has compares favorably to that fish, but as I mentioned earlier, the search is broken and I can't find it.

Be careful when looking at the B. filamentosum page on PCF, there are several pictures of capas included there that were apparently added before the species were recognized as being distinct in 2009.

fila capa.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
There is a thread or two I recall that'd be very helpful to your ID query, but as Rob is saying, with the search function down, it's best to wait if that is an option. Still, it appears Rob's info leaves little to add on my part (from memory). Base coloration can also be misleading, live but esp. on photos. IIRC, in a nut shell, adult fishes, spotless, are very hard to tell apart even for Dr. Lundberg. He says the best way for adults is by tooth patches. Yours still have the spots.

I agree with capa at the moment.

Yes, intact barbels are 2x-4x the body length in juvi capa and 4x-5x in fila. What you quoted is probably said of adults but then again, I must repeat what Dr. Lundberg says and his faithful adept our own Necrocanis: only tooth patches can reliably tell an adult capa from fila. Hence, I infer that the barbel length is not to be used for adults.

kyang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
Singapore (Singapura)
It's not the picture I wanted to use, but with the search function broken, I can't find it. Here is a picture of a young capapretum and a young filamentosum side by side. Obviously these fish are about half the size of the ones in the OP, but it still illustrates the point fabulously well. When the fish are together, the difference is as obvious as a tigrinum and juruense.

View attachment 1051632

I found this video recently, would you guys say that the darker specimen is filamentosum and the lighter one is capapretum?

[video=youtube;AbwXIrrawIo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbwXIrrawIo[/video]

Also I'm guessing that this is a capapretum

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store