Another "Cloudy Water" thread but...

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Hi Folks - So it's been 3 weeks today since I started cycling my (~260 gallon tank). First some background:

* Kicked-off the process using Seachem Stabilize (following the directions for dosing for the 7 days) and API Water Conditioner as prescribed.
* Added a couple 2-3 inch parrots and one 3-inch gold nugget and one 3-inch blue phantom between day 3-8.
* Since I started I believe I've gone through to what has been a bacterial bloom between week 1 and 2 which was expected. That wasn't too bad and didn't mind the clouded water.
* I suspect that given the tank size, and relative light waste production, my ammonia and nitrite continues to be 0 (using API Master Test Kit). Even had it test at LFS.

Since the cycle started I've had 2-3 inch black polish rock for substrate and driftwood/plants. After a week I added another piece of driftwood/plants as I felt it need more to "balance" the look of the tank.

Since I was reading 0 for the nitrogen cycle, I decided to add a small pieces of (cooked) shrimp to 1) let the plecos nibble on and 2) potentially create more ammonia.

My problem now is for the last 4 days, my water has been extremely cloudy to a point where I can barely see the fish. One of the parrot has formed "black spots" (not sure if there's a direct correlation with the cloudy water). I'm committed to going through this cycle process, but I'm really at a point now where I feel I at least need to a do a 25%-50% PWC. We're talking some really cloudy water here with traces of brown/green algae.

My question is can I/should I perform a PWC without negatively impact the cycling process? I figured it won't be worse given that I'm reading 0 still. Again, I was expecting the bacterial blooms and all during the cycling, but it's at a point where I don't want to sit idle.

I would appreciate and advice as to what my next steps should be here...

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Just leave it alone and let nature take it's course. If any fish die, just leave them in there to decompose naturally. Bacterial blooms are to be expected. I would suggest in the future to go with a fishless cycle. Easier and no stress or loss of life on fish. I use ammonia every other day until I can go from 10 PPM to zero in 8 hours. Good luck and be patient.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I agree, keep up water changes, do not touch the filters. cycle takes 6 to 8 weeks, adding shrimp is adding protein to the tank, protien=ammonia. I have cycled few tanks with nothing but raw shrimp tails. I suspect the tails up the ammonia in your tank and BB was not ready for it yet. again to be expected.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thanks guys...so I've not done any water changes in the last 3 weeks. Are you suggesting that I not, or, go for the 25-50 % change? Either way, I'll be sure to leave the sump filtration alone, just thinking about replacing some water. Anyone else?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would do water changes. I take it you have fish in? if not then not a biggy, but you have fish in, I would be doing at least 50% every other day and dosing the tank with prime/safe. dosed for size of tank not water replacing added before the new water.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Thanks Pops. Yes, I have fish in hence more of a concern with the cloudiness and black spots on one of the parrots, etc. I just wanted to also better understand if PWC will slow down the cycling even more given the fact I was reading 0 across the board. Given the situation w/fish, I suppose that is more important and won't put me any worse off than I am.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no need to do anything to boost ammonia, your fish do that through respiration, much like we do with carbon dioxide. feed your fish like you always would, the BB will cultivate just fine. do the water changes, you do not want ammonia over 2 to 3 ppm long as dosed with prime. prime lasts up to 48 hours and handles up to 4ppm. hence the every other day water change, yu not want it building up past that

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I just realized that I may have not been clear after all that information. I wanted to clarify that my tank has not shown any signs of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I don't think it changes any of the responses but didn't want folks thinking I had spikes and back down to 0. I actually want the spikes to get started. Thanks for reading...

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It's somewhat hard to tell, but your data suggests your tank hasn't cycled at all. No nitrites and no nitrates is really the indicator. No ammonia however makes less sense so I don't really know how that's being tested.

1) Did you feed the fish after you placed them in the tank at least a little bit? Fish don't make ammonia without being fed since ammonia is a waste product from food that fish eat. No food means no ammonia and no ammonia means dead bacteria. The lack of readings for anything indicates no food or ammonia has been added to the tank, although it could also mean that the amounts placed in the tank were so tiny that they can't register on the tests.

2) Bacterial bloom is a result of excess nutrients (food) in the water. The shrimp tails were probably in the tank rotting if they weren't ingested immediately. Dead fish are the same as is uneaten food, so none of that should be in a tank. The bacteria in the bloom are not the same bacteria as the ones you want to handle ammonia and nitrites. Those will compete with the BB you want, so blooms are not a way often suggested to cycle a tank.

If you have zero's across the board on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, that seems like a sure indicator that you have an uncycled tank. Remove uneaten food in the tank and don't worry about doing a water change as that won't solve a true bacterial bloom. Don't feed until the bloom is gone and until you have gotten exact water readings. IMO, the main concern is lack of a confirmed cycled tank.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
It's somewhat hard to tell, but your data suggests your tank hasn't cycled at all. No nitrites and no nitrates is really the indicator. No ammonia however makes less sense so I don't really know how that's being tested.

1) Did you feed the fish after you placed them in the tank at least a little bit? Fish don't make ammonia without being fed since ammonia is a waste product from food that fish eat. No food means no ammonia and no ammonia means dead bacteria. The lack of readings for anything indicates no food or ammonia has been added to the tank, although it could also mean that the amounts placed in the tank were so tiny that they can't register on the tests.

2) Bacterial bloom is a result of excess nutrients (food) in the water. The shrimp tails were probably in the tank rotting if they weren't ingested immediately. Dead fish are the same as is uneaten food, so none of that should be in a tank. The bacteria in the bloom are not the same bacteria as the ones you want to handle ammonia and nitrites. Those will compete with the BB you want, so blooms are not a way often suggested to cycle a tank.

If you have zero's across the board on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, that seems like a sure indicator that you have an uncycled tank. Remove uneaten food in the tank and don't worry about doing a water change as that won't solve a true bacterial bloom. Don't feed until the bloom is gone and until you have gotten exact water readings. IMO, the main concern is lack of a confirmed cycled tank.

Thanks for your observations and taking the time to share your opinions. I am certain, that my tank has not started the nitrogen cycle - at least not enough where the API Master kit is detecting (as I've indicated that I'm using the test above).

I did not explicitly call out but I have fed my few fishes since I've had them, but I have been feeding twice a day actually up until the last 3 days. I specific called out the piece of shrimp (not shrimp tail) as I do suspect that leaving that in the tank is what triggered the bacterial bloom, or what I/we think it is. Although I've provided a fair amount of food relative to my number of fish, I think it's likely low when considering the size of my tank - and why I called out above.

I originally was looking for inputs on WPC to help with my water clarity against the bacterial bloom, while not disrupting the nitrogen cycle (or lack there of in my case). Based on your response doesn't look like water change won't help my situation. Looks like rodger hit the nail...sit back and watch the blooms and be patient...

Thanks all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store