Rays and Bichirs?

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Have any of you guys kept these two in a tank together? Looking to get an ornate biter and a ray and wondering if they can live together in the same tank. If you guys have tried it, how was your experience? were they aggressive towards each other? Is this a viable combination? Would you suggest this combination to other people?

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
i gave a birchir to my friend who kept rays,, birchir killed the ray

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
Regardless as to whether they can get along or not a healthy ray is swimming over every inch of the bottom and I picture an ornate hiding full time in a corner never to be seen.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I have an Ornate and Endi both around 18" or bigger with 5 big rays. Never had a problem. The Endi hangs at the back and the Ornate swims around most of the time. Both are very settled and happy and all fish eat together with no issues. Guess it is different for everyone. These all grew up together which probably helps.
Regardless as to whether they can get along or not a healthy ray is swimming over every inch of the bottom and I picture an ornate hiding full time in a corner never to be seen.

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
I keep my 18" ornate with two fully mature rays without issue for 2 years.

My pup tank has a Delhezi and Albino senegal who have lived alongside a number of different rays without an problems either. They avoid the rays for the most part and keep to themselves.

Every fish is different but like Jim, I personally have not had any issues.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
My endlis had bitten my rays in the disk at feeding time.
I sold them to a friend.
They grewed up together too but at feeding time they go crazy.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Never tried it but I have heard many stories going both ways. I have seen a thread of rays chewing the heads off of bichirs and I have seen threads of bichirs biting the eyes off of rays and I have seen them be perfectly fine together it really seems hot or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store