Pangasius S.O.S!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure what's going on here but my trio of paroon sharks have come down with some sort of ailment..It started with just one of them a few days ago,it started to get a little pale in color and then white blotches appeared on its body and fins and now the other two are getting the same appearance.There are three small IT dats in the tank and I do about a fifty percent weekly water change.I have no idea what is wrong and I've never had to treat catfish before so I am not sure which medications are safe to try...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks guys.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm not sure what's going on here but my trio of paroon sharks have come down with some sort of ailment..It started with just one of them a few days ago,it started to get a little pale in color and then white blotches appeared on its body and fins and now the other two are getting the same appearance.There are three small IT dats in the tank and I do about a fifty percent weekly water change.I have no idea what is wrong and I've never had to treat catfish before so I am not sure which medications are safe to try...
Hard to help when asked like that, IMHO. I'd follow this protocol to ask a good question: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ish-Health-Diagnostics-(Read-before-posting-)

IMHE, I've not found that catfish in general are more sensitive to salt or meds than scaled fishes. And I am not alone. I do not, though, disregard the fact that there are followers of the opposing school of thought. We can agree to disagree I guess.

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
Hard to help when asked like that, IMHO. I'd follow this protocol to ask a good question: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ish-Health-Diagnostics-(Read-before-posting-)

IMHE, I've not found that catfish in general are more sensitive to salt or meds than scaled fishes. And I am not alone. I do not, though, disregard the fact that there are followers of the opposing school of thought. We can agree to disagree I guess.
Agreed but it depends on the catfish. For ich... Some
Catfish can tolerate the medication called ridich. Paroons CANNOT and i emphasizeCANNOT because i learned that from experience. I lost 2 many years ago for that mistake. Also a buddy of mine who has kept paroons for years also advices me not use awuarium salt. If u do too much u burn them. Thats all i know in regards to paroons. Other cats i know can tolerate salts and stronger meds but paroons are like sea horses. Sometimes even the safe meds are too strong so u have to cut back a little bit. Not do a full dose.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
thebiggerthebetter... thank you for opening my eyes to the finer points of asking a question in your beloved sub forum.I clearly described what looks to be symptoms of some kind and I'm guessing they are not familiar to you.

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
thebiggerthebetter... thank you for opening my eyes to the finer points of asking a question in your beloved sub forum.I clearly described what looks to be symptoms of some kind and I'm guessing they are not familiar to you.
Rich just to be on the safe side start with a water change as u know. Turn up temp. And prob start with melafix

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You are right. Sorry, my post didn't read right. Too curt. I'd like to help but more info and pics are needed IMHO. I do fully submit that others may have a good guess at a diagnosis or two whilst I am clueless at the moment. Then, at least, I'd like to understand and learn from this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store