Cyps Too Quick for Jumbo Cyps in Eating

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Hey Folks--

I always get great tips here, so I thought I'd throw this out to see if anyone has had a similar situation and what you did to fix it/help it.

I've had 4 cyps in my tank for about 2 months or so. They are still juvies, and the males are just coloring up now for about 2 weeks or so. They're doing great--and man, are they fast. I feed them in a way that they can grab the sinking pellets before they hit the substrate, and then whatever hits the substrate is quickly eaten by my enantiopus and brevis.

I just got some 4.5" or 5" jumbo cyps last Wednesday that are at a mid-coloring stage, and they are a very skittish fish--but besides that, the cyps are so fast, the jumbos don't seem to be able to get much food. I actually see a jumbo swimming toward a sinking pellet and a cyp will swim past them and snatch it up before the jumbo can get to it.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks!

Stephen

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
The obvious: Feed more.
Thanks. The food ends up on the bottom and none of the cyps are very interested in eating it from the substrate. The more I feed them, the more ends up on the bottom and I don't have enough fish that will grab the food from the substrate.

I am planning on getting more enantiopus. I can put in more food then.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Do not over feed, I would try two different sized pellets. When the jumbos settle in they will have no problems competing for food.

Odstar

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
North Hollywood
I picked up 3 [FONT=arial, sans-serif]CYPRICHROMIS LEPTOSOMAS KITUMBA this past Sunday and its only today I noticed them eating spiraling flakes and out competing the smaller quicker tangs in the tank. By the way where did you get your Cyps at?[/FONT]

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
I picked up 3 [FONT=arial, sans-serif]CYPRICHROMIS LEPTOSOMAS KITUMBA this past Sunday and its only today I noticed them eating spiraling flakes and out competing the smaller quicker tangs in the tank. By the way where did you get your Cyps at?[/FONT]
The Nkonde I bought online from the Wet Spot, and the utinta and jumbo kitumba from strictly fish, but they rarely have any. I tried for the better part of a year before he had any.

I'll probably have to get the rest online because they are extremely hard to get here in Orange County, CA.

Odstar

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
North Hollywood
The Nkonde I bought online from the Wet Spot, and the utinta and jumbo kitumba from strictly fish, but they rarely have any. I tried for the better part of a year before he had any.

I'll probably have to get the rest online because they are extremely hard to get here in Orange County, CA.
I picked up my cyps at strictly fish as well. Got 25% off the price as well

Odstar

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
North Hollywood
Can you post a pic of the Jumbo Kitumba? I purchased 2 males and what seemed to be a female? The males have little color on them and I'm hoping they color up in my tank.

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Great, then they are jumbos like mine. I got the discount too. I still have to call Terry and find out how old they are and what generation. I forgot to ask. Do you happen to know? I know they get to 6" and they are only about 4.5 or 5 now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store