aro with dropsy. best treatment

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
What's up MFK. This weekend I stopped by a good friends house. He has a beautiful Leicharti (spelling) Arowana around 17" a real gem of a fish and rare. It stopped eating about a week ago he said. I noticed clamped fins, and very slight abdominal swelling. I noticed the scales aim outward slightly, this is what makes me think dropsy.

other than that no signs of injury from tankmates. water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, i doubt this is a factor. He does 50% WC weekly.

What is a good treatment for Dropsy? A leicharti aro this size is priceless as they are near impossible to find with any size.

I recommended epsom salts to start for any internal swelling at 10-15mg per 10 gallons. Does this sounds good? This can help with the swelling but won't cure the disease if i'm not mistake. nitrofurazone is on hand but researching it doesn't seem like this is the best treatment for dropsy. There are some catfish in the tank so treatments need to be safe for scaleless fishes as he doesn't have a QT tank big enough to move these monsters.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store