I get a fish shed

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Moving to new house soon, inside is out of the question as there is maybe 12" of room underneath in crawlspace, so a 10x10 shed will do, no room for my dream 8x8 tank yet though.... Gonna build a 8x4xsomething new tank for the big guys, move the turtle from his glass 125 into the current fish plywood 300, then throw the 75gal in there to. Pops helped me run a 20amp line out to the shed today, I still have to insulate it, throw board up, then build the big tank for the big guys. The move is only a 5-7min drive, but my 30" kitty doesnt like moves, and almost lost him a couple times in the past, Im not gonna waste 7ish years with him without a fight!

The beginning...if I added onto the shed with a 10x10 addition then it would be 10x20 and I would be able to fit my 8x8 tank then! Perhaps in time. Gonna be heated with a oil filled heater that I used at the old house deatched garage to heat a 8x8 room.
20141215_161232 by smetters20, on Flickr

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I used to live in Chicago and in the nearby suburbs. That looks exactly about right. Insulation with a heater should work.

Where's your snow!!?

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Im in Antioch..... snow is where it should be, AWAY. We have gotten maybe a few inches so far, but always melts a few days after. Today and yesterday were in the high 40's, I dont need a blizzard when trying to assemble a plywood tank in the backyard.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
interior is all done with osb, will try tmw to seal the seams then let dry, then put down a primer, then paint. Put in the oil filled heater today to test it out, works good so far. Then into building the big tank when I have time.

Pops was helping with the rest of the osb... friends meh they are no good with power tools, great at watching though.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Gonna be heated with a oil filled heater
Water to fill it I will just run a 3/4" ID hose connected to a hose that connects to the shower run it out the window into the back yard into the shed to fill. If a water change is ever needed I will just do the same.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
When I finished my basement (I was in Wheaton at that time), I was shocked. The whole basement was largely just poured concrete with steel I-beams, and wooden joists (for the floor above) and it went from around 58F to 68F simply by laying a plywood floor with 4mm beneath it. Heating became no problem at that point, and paneling the walls and ceiling converted it into a cozy playroom.

Insulation will drastically improve success in trying to heat in a cold area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store