Do I have everything for an upcoming Bearded Dragon?

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
I'm buying a Bearded Dragon at my Cleveland Expo, Sunday. This will be my first Beardy and I know all the basics but I just want to see what people think about this setup I have going for him/her!

1. 75 gallon ex-fish aquarium.
2. Mesh/wire top
3. Tile/Paper Towel substrate
4. Basking area has wood/slate rock with a 150w GE "Crystal Clear" 2800k bulb <--- Is this not bright enough in terms of Kelvin or should it be fine? The reason for me using this bulb in particular is I have about 10 brand new ones laying around.
5. 10.0 Reptisun 24" mounted inside (New now, will be replaced every 6 months)
6. cool side/ hide
7. Hammock
8. Temp/Humidity gauge (also probe)
9. Dubia roaches/nymphs / veggies

Am I missing anything important? The stuff I listed is all the things I currently have. Also, with regards to the UVB, If in my Ohio summers as many days possible out of the summers I plan on taking him outside with me for at least 30-1+ hours a day, do I need to use my Reptisun light still despite him going outside every day as long as its not raining or too cold?

big54bob

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2008
Amish Country
Since no one else is replying i guess i'll take a shot at this.

1. 75 gallon is fine, mine is getting upgraded to a 125 gallon when i get time to set it up. If your getting a baby i might suggest a 20 long to start him out so he/she can find its food easier.
2. As long as it won't catch on fire you should be fine.
3. Fine, adults will shred paper towels. Indoor/Outdoor carpet is another good choice for young dragons. You can keep older dragons on a 50/50 playsand topsoil mixture as long as you feed them in a dish or outside the cage. It's easier to spot clean and allows the dragon to dig and stuff.
4. Set up your cage and use your thermometer to measure how hot your basking spot is. If you get 100* you should be fine.
5. Should work, if you get a t5 you don't have to mount it inside the cage. Might want a longer bulb for more coverage.
6. Honestly all my dragon does is bask and glass surf.
7. No experience.
8. Humidity isn't a big thing with dragons. High humidity can cause URIs but thats it.
9. Dubias are great if you have a colony but buying them will get spendy. Crickets are great until your dragon reaches 16 inches then you could switch over to superworms. I feed my beardie superworms, butterworms, crickets every once in a while, and giant mealworms when i can't get superworms. Hornworms and Silkworms are great treats for beardies because of their high moisture content. Variety is key with any reptile. Veggies i tend to buy bunches of parsley and cilantro and alternate between the too. Leafy greens go bad quickly for me so my beardie only gets them every once and a while. I also feed carrots, zuchini, apples, yellow squash, and yams along with herbs. My beardie is weird and goes nuts for crested gecko diet so he gets that as a treat.

Taking your beardie outside is great and all but you shouldn't use it as a uvb substitute IMHO.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Have you you thought about a powersun uv instead of the reptisun. Its heat and uvb in one. You can use it in a range of up to 6 feet. And you replace yearly to every year and a half.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store