"New"

Celsius

Feeder Fish
Dec 16, 2014
Iceland
I recently got back into this awesome hobby, still a little rusty. Just bought a 55 gal tank and i am currently setting it up for a Gulper Catfish (Asterophysus Batrachus).
I have been doing a LOT of research online but still have a few questions running through my mind and was hoping someone could give me tips.

1. Best way to cycle a tank. I am going to buy a bottled bacterial filter to get things started, or is it just rubbish ?

2. Tank mates for the Gulper: I know it eats everything up to twice it size but i read online in some cases it ignores small tetras and rasboras. Any suggestions on smaller fishes to add to the tank ?

3. How much water changes is the common rules ? This catfish does not get very big compared to other catfishes. is a weekly 25% enough ?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I've had good results with the bottled bacteria. one was seachem, I don't remember the other brand but I've posted it before... you can search for it if you want. both gave me a cycle in about a week.
as far as the best way to start your cycle I say any of them without fish in the tank. since you're going bottled, just buy some bottled ammonia. no surfactants!

the common rule isn't necessarily going to be best. mathematically speaking you are better doing large water changes since that removes the most toxins from your pet's environment, meaning it's healthier, and the best for the fish.
get your test kit, get the filter going, and watch your nitrates.
personally, my tropical tanks get 80%-90% weekly, as does my sunfish tank in the summer. I do less once their water hits 62 degrees and feeding drops to 1-2 feeds a week.
I've never seen my fish healthier than with large daily water changes, but it's not really practical.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Tetra safestart is imo the best. Should have you cycled in less than a week. You also need an api master test kit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I like to cycle a tank with live aquarium plants. There is beneficial bacteria on all parts of the plants. The plants will also use the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the water.

Celsius

Feeder Fish
Dec 16, 2014
Iceland
Thanks for all the replies, great tips! I think i am going to add a few of aquarium plants and the SERA biofilter.
As for tank mates for the gulper catfish i'm going to try a small school of neon tetra and harlequin raboras, hopefully he wont go Pacman on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store