Redtail catfish not eating

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
Hey i have about 3 inch RTC for about a month now. im growing him out in about 20 gallon bin right now and he will be in my 340 gallon pond with my koi when he grow up. about 2 days ago i notice him stop eating his food when i feed him. i have been feeding him raw shrimps since i have him. he is the only 1 in the bin no other fish. i do weekly water changes but last week i have a lot of homework and reports so i didnt do his water change for about a week and a half. i did the water and a day after i notice some of his fins are rip and the top fin is about 1/4 gone and he stop eating. i already did the water change and i added API medicine in there for curing fin rot. today is the 2nd day of treatment he look a little big better getting a little interest in food but still wont eat. he still swim around a lot. can any one tell me what going on is it fin rot or is it something else and when do u think he will eat again. i also added a little (half a tea spoon) of aquarium salt and some stress coat hoping that it will help. Thanks a lot!!! :)

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Hey i have about 3 inch RTC for about a month now. im growing him out in about 20 gallon bin right now and he will be in my 340 gallon pond with my koi when he grow up. about 2 days ago i notice him stop eating his food when i feed him. i have been feeding him raw shrimps since i have him. he is the only 1 in the bin no other fish. i do weekly water changes but last week i have a lot of homework and reports so i didnt do his water change for about a week and a half. i did the water and a day after i notice some of his fins are rip and the top fin is about 1/4 gone and he stop eating. i already did the water change and i added API medicine in there for curing fin rot. today is the 2nd day of treatment he look a little big better getting a little interest in food but still wont eat. he still swim around a lot. can any one tell me what going on is it fin rot or is it something else and when do u think he will eat again. i also added a little (half a tea spoon) of aquarium salt and some stress coat hoping that it will help. Thanks a lot!!! :)
Frequent water changes are the first step in the right direction. Probably is fin rot.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
thanks for replying but i wonder if u know when he will start eating again he haven't eat anything for about 2 days now it worry me /:

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Welcome to the forum KIdfish! I think you would have better luck in a different section of the forum, this is the saltwater section. I think you would have more people with experience with your RTC in the catfish section. On your problem what do the nitrates measure? Any ammonia or nitrite? Was the 20 gallon cyced before you put him in? My guess is the problem is environmental and 25 to 30 percent water changes every day or so until you get your levels back down are the best bet. Also a more varied diet will be beneficial in the long term health of your future monster cat. Good luck!

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
thanks :) everyone look friendly here. Tbh this is my first time actually keeping a RTC. right now the nitrate and nitrite are 0's. i asked a friend to come and check it a few hr ago. before when i started keep fish i had a water test kit in hand but over the year i felt comfortable with keep my fish until i got this guy but i guess it is useful to have one ready. i been doing 25-30% water change for the last 2 days. yes the 20 gallon was cycle for 4-5days before i got him. the 20 gallon is not a tall bin its one of the low bin and it have a base bigger than my 30 gallon look like a base of a 40 gallon so i thought it could keep him in there for a bit until he get big enough to defend against my koi. Thanks for the advice i will try to move it to the catfish section.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store