Importing Festae

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
Hello all-

First let me say that I am not an importer nor will I be traveling to South America to collect fish in the near future so this post/question is 100% completely hypothetical. Clearly there are exportation bans on fish from Ecuador due to environmental issues - however, not in Peru. Since both places in fact have some of the same fish my question is.... Would it be possible to collect, Festae for example from Ecuador, cross over to Peru, and leave South America with the fish from Peru? Again, I know there are bans, it's illegal, I know there are checkpoints at the borders and I'm not going any time soon as I don't have the cash lol so HYPOTHETICALLY, is that possible?

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not asking from a legal standpoint meaning that's it's okay to leave from one country & not the other but to sneak the fish from Ecuador to Peru and bring them back as "peruvian festae" just wanted to be clear on that lol

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not going anywhere. I was just asking a hypothetical question. Like do you think people do/have done this? I mean it's always easier collecting festae from Peru but some feel there are differences in the two strains, others don't. Just sparking a convo here guy.

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
Like I personally have never been to South America. I do not know the time it takes from collection point to get to Peru, nor do I know the length of flights. Like I said just sparking up a convo.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Im sure it happens all the time. Really no way to say if the fish came from Ecuador originally and if all your papers are done properly Im sure they could make their way out of Peru.

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
To my understanding, and what I've seen Ecuadorian are more desired & have more of a blood red color, taller & bulkier body structure & jaws. I guess the only real way to tell differences is to have 5-10 fish from each country and note differences .

MisterCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not playing anything, is the word hypothetical in this post invisible? And drugs (illegal everywhere) compared to fish (which are legal to export in one country and not the other) are two completely different ball games. Quite honestly I'm seeing quite a few people of wild Ecuadorian festae for sale when it's completely BS because of the exportation laws. So I was thinking maybe some people do this. Or in fact just not have any wild genetics or getting imports from Peru and calling them Ecuadorian.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hypothetically?

Yes.

It's called "poaching".

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com