Bank window plywood tank

Molenyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2012
Northern Virginia
So I got one of those bullet resistant windows that sit in front of the teller at a bank. It came out of a remodel up the street from my job. It is 1-1/4 acrylic of some sort. It is large enough to give me a 5.5 foot by 2.5 foot window once I cut off the damaged corner. I know there are many types of acrylics out there, is there any way to tell what this is or if would be safe to use for a plywood tank build? The only "test" that we've done is taken a smaller piece from the same job site and tried to test if it was actually bullet resistant(okay, it was more fun than testing)

Molenyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2012
Northern Virginia
It was. The piece was about 12x20. It stopped three 9mm. The 4th broke through barely and the 5th went through with little resistance. So its definatley strong but I know that pressure is different from impact. Titanium for example is very strong, but it is also very brittle.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
You wouldnt be the first to use a teller window for a build, it should work just fine...teller windows are usually laminated sheets of lexan ie. polycarbonate but sometimes acrylic. If u look at the edge u should be able to see the sheets that were used to make the thickness. Lexan is also greyish in color when looking at the edge. Acrylic is a bit more yellow or clear and would be one solid sheet, not laminated. Could be anything without some pics lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
That's a really cool idea. I dont see why it wouldn't work. Bank glass (or plastic) is some strong stuff. I would've never thought about using it for a tank.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store