New and I want to get a Parrot-type cichlid would like guidance

sophiaAQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Midwest
First let me say I am aware there is controversy regarding this man bred cichlid. I've read lots and lots of positive feedback from people who actually own them. Currently I keep bettas and for me at least they seem to only last on average a year and half. It breaks my heart each time I lose one. ( I keep multiple tanks) I want a longer lived personable fish that can be happy as a solitary fish that won't need more than a 55 gallon tank in the long run.

I have a heated and lighted 30 gallon tank that has been running without fish for about a year. I had fish in there and one fish I added turned up with columanris and it eventually wiped out all of the fish.

What it does have are tons of trumphet snails(do they eat these?), seed shrimp, and some white worm like creatures that I am not sure what they are. There are two large amazon swords grow one in substrate and one is in pot with some roots in the substrate. Since all are thriving I figure the tank should be fine with fish.There are some other small miscellaneous plants in the tank plus couple of silks. I have no other decorations. The substrate is sand, with soil below it with a natural gravel cap with is not very thick. The filter is a sponge filter.

What should I do to get the tank ready for RP cichclid? I know I will probably need an additional filter I would prefer a hob over a cannister filter. Which one would you suggest? I think I'd like one that is capable of doing up to 55 gallons in case of upgrade. Are clay flower pots ok as hides for ciclids?

I am considering going with a pet store variety without the deformed mouth not only because this seems better for the fish but also because I don't think I want to spend $50-$90 on a fish I am new to. I would like some selection tips. Bettas unfortunately are stuck in those awful cups at the store so selecting them is far different.

I've many posts elsewhere that say these are good fish for a beginner although Petsmart says intermediate. How hard do you think they are to care for? How often with I need to change the water for this fish in a planted 30 gallon?

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Too bad you're not talking about the true parrot cichlid those guys are awesome! Not enough people own those imo.
First off- are you trying to stock a 55 gallon or a 30?
With a 55 you could possibly get a Jack Dempsey or a Convict. I've seen small ones go for 2.79.
Severums are also alot like Parrots in that they have that whole big body shape you wight want to look into those as well...
In a 30 gallon you could get some acara's those are pretty cool. -Also I'm not as up on my dwarf cichlids but those are crazy colorful and you can get more in a tank.

sophiaAQ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Midwest
I am starting with 30 gallon that I am describing in my post If my fish gets big enough I would happily upgrade to a 55 gallon which is why I want to get a filter that works for both. I am focusing on health by selecting for less "deformity" and still hoping to get the same fish personality and also in hopes of avoiding swim bladder issues.

I've seen some locally that look like true parrots they are bright orange. There's one in the tank that has the parrot mouth but he or she can still move her lower jaw a bit which I consider to be a plus. I've read some can't move their mouths at all. It's gill covers looked really flat and there was not too much skin surrounding them and the fish was not breathing heavy like another larger one in the tank that did have more skin around the gills. It was about 3.5 inches for 12.99. It's inquisitive and not too skittish. There were no black stress spots. I took video of it but it's brief and not the best quality.

I am more into the personable part of these fish I've seen many videos of owners and fish interacting which is similar to the relationship I have with my bettas who perk up when they see you they act a bit like fish "puppys". Granted this is probably for hopes of food but I still enjoy it. I am concerned about having a high bio-load by adding other fish since only one Parrot is suggested for one tank although it does look neat to have bottom dwellers. I might like a few if them if the parrot fish won't stress them out chasing them.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Well I think you should clean your tank and get rid of anything like the stuff you mentioned in the tank. Then, let the tank cycle for a week or two as parrots are pretty hardy. once you've done that, you can add a small cichlid such as parrots, severum, or maybe geophagus. If you upgrade to a 55, you can get maybe a JD, green terror, or the fish ive selected before. I would do a couple severums though as I love them in general. And also, they will tear up your plants. Don't believe petsmart employees, or even buy from them. Go to your local fish store or pet store that is locally ran and owned and ask and buy from them. By following these steps, you will have a better result.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store