Redtail catfish not eating ):

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
i have a RTC for about a 3 weeks now. i have him in a low top bin base of about 40 gallon (and i guess its 20 gallon) the bin was already cycle with 2 30 gallon filter for 4 days before i got him. usually i do weekly water change but last week due to a lot a lot of homework i was busy and i couldnt do his water so i delay for a few days. about 3 days ago i found out that some of his fin look rip and little part of it is missing. so i assume its fin rot. i did a water 25-30% water change and add in API tetra. i feed him raw shrimp twice a day, he double the size from when i first got him (right now he about 4 inch) can anyone tell me if its fin rot or not am i doing the right step so far. i been doing 25-30% water changes for the last 2 days and add API tetra in. another thing he stop eating about 2 days ago when i found out he got fin rot (i think). will he be ok not eating and when u do think he will be eating again? he still very active swimming around. he look like he start to have interest in food again but he still not eating. he just check it out come up close to it and leave. i been keeping a flowerhorn for about a year now i never experience fin rot or ich before. this is my first time experience fin rot (i think) and my first time having a RTC. if anyone wonder the 20 gallon bin is for now for him to grow until he get big enough to defend himself again my koi (7-10 inch) in the 340 gallon pond. thanks for the help!!! :)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Hi:

1) post a pic. That will help a lot.
2) take tests on the water and post that too. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates at least. pH too if you have that.

If water quality is bad or a fish has injuries/illness they very well might not eat. Not eating is a symptom, not the real problem.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What are the Params: NH3, NO2, NO3 ? Don't worry about not eating for 2 days, my striped raph went about 90 days without eating back in late winter/early spring. Also as a sidenote, you're going to need much much larger than a 340 gallon pond for an adult RTC, I'd go 2,000 gallons minimum for one fish.

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
i asked my friend to do a nitrate test on the water yesterday the color was yellow 0-5 (but i am not sure because the medicine im using also turn the water yellow a bit). i will try to get a pic of him because he usually under my drift wood or in a cave.

i will try to talk my parents about making a new pond or expanding the old pond but i doubt that i can expand it into 2,000 gallon but maybe 1,000 gallon. i love feeding him but i don't him to grow too big T~T but i will still feed him normally when he get better

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
well good news is that he feeding again but im just going to feed him 1 time per day now(usually i feed him twice per day when i get home from school school and before i go to sleep) with a small piece of shrimp until im sure that he is a lot better and the water is good for him. going to keep up with the medicine maybe 2 more days :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store