Texas Cichlid?

mtlister

Feeder Fish
Nov 23, 2014
Abbotsford, BC
Picked this fish up over the weekend labelled as a Texas Cichlid at a LFS. They had it squeezed in a 30g tank and were going to get rid of it, so I got rid of it for them by taking it home to my 75G. Currently battling a bit of HITH from the poor water conditions at the LFS. I've seen photos of texas cichlids, but there are so many varying patterns and colors im not 100% sure what he/she is. Any Help?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Picked this fish up over the weekend labelled as a Texas Cichlid at a LFS. They had it squeezed in a 30g tank and were going to get rid of it, so I got rid of it for them by taking it home to my 75G. Currently battling a bit of HITH from the poor water conditions at the LFS. I've seen photos of texas cichlids, but there are so many varying patterns and colors im not 100% sure what he/she is. Any Help?

Sorry it's not a Texas, as ucantkillme89 said it could be a hybrid with Texas in it and perhaps as he said a first gen. attempt at a RT. I'll see about getting this moved to the hybrid section so more people can give a guess to it's lineage. I'll also point out that the fish posted above by satyajit82 isn't a true Texas either but is instead the less common(and in my opinion more attractive) Herichthys Carpintis. H. Carpintis is often mislabeled as a Texas but is actually a cichlid from Mexico called the Pearlscale cichlid and when misidentified is often times called a Green Texas.

The true Texas cichlid is Herichthys Cyanoguttatus and is the only naturally occurring cichlid to the U.S. though it's range does include Mexico as well. H. Cyanoguttatus can usually be differentiated from Carpintis usually by the spots alone, which in Carpintis are larger and irregular in Carpintis while Cyanoguttatus has lateral rows of small spots. Here's a pic of true texas unfortunately I don't know who to credit as this image has shown up multiple times on the internet but I believe the first time it did was here on MFK posted by Azedenkae as adding the image here by url it's a local image and google image search also seems to lead back here.

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
Probably attempt at red texas. Mine look similar.

image.jpg

And my what I believe to be green texas

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
Sorry last pic is probable unfaded red tex female getting ready to breed.

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
Nice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store