3 meters long plywood design

Deluxeman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
NewZealand
Good news everyone,
We found my forever home, there is a bare-basement and a private one acre lake next to it. :)
I had many 150g+ in the past, and now its time to move to something bigger.

Here is my first draft...

Let me know what you think. I'm planing to over build it with mostly 2"x8" and 3/4 ply + armor pond.
The exterior with liquid rubber as the back will be a servicing area.

This is more or less the dimensions, 3 metres x 1m x 1m. I could go to 4x1x 0.7m(not as tall)

Cheers!

tank.gif

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Very nice demo there. Are you going to have a sump somewhere behind the partition? Are you going to finish the basement before during or after the tank (or not at all?)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Very nice! Looking forward to this build in hopefully the not to distant future. GL

Deluxeman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
NewZealand
Very nice demo there. Are you going to have a sump somewhere behind the partition? Are you going to finish the basement before during or after the tank (or not at all?)
Thanks bro, I'll try to keep up with those.

Yes, the sump will be behind the tank. I'll try to keep in a comfortable hight to be able to clean it without bending my back or my knees. (we all grow old after all :) )
It will have a drip system, and some 10g hospital tanks.
The goal is to concentrate and isolate the wet-noisy-messy part of the hobby behind the tank.

I'll have to fix some cracks in the concrete wall first, then add a floor and insulate the exterior walls and then build the tank.
The aquarium part will stay on concrete floor (with liquid rubber?), but the walls will be insulated. Next to it, a utility washroom with walk-in shower that would lead to the back of the tank.

I'm getting professional help for the basement, not totally a DIY :)

Deluxeman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
NewZealand
Personally I think 2X8 is a little over kill but it's your choice. There are a few tanks done a few years ago with the same design as yours using 2X4 and had no problems.
Fair point, I'm making a second design using 2x8 only for the sides and base.
2x4 for the front and back
My second design is less prone to errors, but still overbuild, (got inspired from an other thread)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store