filtration that'll fit through small cabinet door

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
The cabinet for my 125 has 3 doors, but each is only 13" wide. I would like to add another canister that moves a lot of water but need something with pretty slim dimensions. Are there any strong filters out there that will fit? I could get an xp4 but want more flow.

Right now I have an fx5 and xp3. I want to replace the xp3. The fx5 was put in place through the back openings before I had the tank set up. Not purposely, I just had it turned around and had everything stored until I was able to set up. I didn't notice the door size until it was too late.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
My Fluval 406 is more oblong than my Xps. How much height do you have to work with under there?

FreeWillie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Look into the Aquatops either the CF-400 or CF-500. They will both fit. They are great filters. They are also called SunSun. Check ebay some great prices but be carefull some are selling the for high prices so shop around. I have 10 of this on many of my tanks and love them.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Plenty of height. Maybe 24". I stood a 10 gallon its end and had plenty of room to get it through.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you are handy with DIY projects, I would just modify your existing doors to enable you to use the filters of your choice. You will eventually need to remove the FX5 in order to service it properly.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
pop the doors off. they cant be all that secure on the there. I would assume 2 simple hinges you can either pop the pin out of or unscrew them from the stand.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
If you are handy with DIY projects, I would just modify your existing doors to enable you to use the filters of your choice. You will eventually need to remove the FX5 in order to service it properly.
I've thought of this but wasnt sure if cutting bigger openings would mess with the strength of the cabinet. I can get the fx5 apart under the cabinet and turn the treys to get them out. Then I use the wet/dry vac in the body to suck out gunk and leftover water.

pop the doors off. they cant be all that secure on the there. I would assume 2 simple hinges you can either pop the pin out of or unscrew them from the stand.
The doors aren't the problem, it the actual opening cutouts.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Posting pics of your stand with the doors closed and open will help to advise you on the best method of modifying it. Don't be cutting anything before adding replacement support or structure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store