Help with tig catfish

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
I have a 5 inch or so tigrinus catfish, all he eats is feeders , how can I get him to eat some mp , been like 2 weeks since I got him , he's with a datnoid and arowana and also a pleco , all he ate was 4-6 feeder , what can I do , is there a curtain times to feed him like at night or lights out ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
DO NOT FEED MP TO TIG SMALLER THAN 12" you will kill it

Feed it hikari sinking carnivore pellets

Feed at night and drop the pellets close to the tig

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
I have a 5 inch or so tigrinus catfish, all he eats is feeders , how can I get him to eat some mp , been like 2 weeks since I got him , he's with a datnoid and arowana and also a pleco , all he ate was 4-6 feeder , what can I do , is there a curtain times to feed him like at night or lights out ?
Don't believe in the baloney of "DO NOT FEED MP TO TIG SMALLER THAN 12" you will kill it."
You may want to keep the tigrinus by itself, since it won't be able to compete mp with the datnoid or pleco. You may need to drop the mp in front of it, with feeding tongs or use a PVC pipe to help with it. Make sure soak the mp in water to thaw/defrost, peel off the exoskeleton, and cut the mp in pieces about the size of the tigrinus mouth, before you feed them.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
I try , he swims away
Just keep the light out, give him some time to come back for the food later. That's why it's better to keep tigrinus by itself. It's kinda shy fish, not ferocious feeding like other catfish

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
You may also want to try cut smelts, try the 2nd half body or tail part. Give the first half head part to your datnoid

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Don't believe in the baloney of "DO NOT FEED MP TO TIG SMALLER THAN 12" you will kill it."
You may want to keep the tigrinus by itself, since it won't be able to compete mp with the datnoid or pleco. You may need to drop the mp in front of it, with feeding tongs or use a PVC pipe to help with it. Make sure soak the mp in water to thaw/defrost, peel off the exoskeleton, and cut the mp in pieces about the size of the tigrinus mouth, before you feed them.
You would know best can I see pics of all the tigs you have grown to 24"+
I can show at least 4 tigs I have grown
If it's just one you have grown you may have got lucky

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I won't get in to the shrimp debate. I took T1's advice. Take Jing's advice and get him in a small tank by himself. Mine was hard to get off of dead onto pellets. When he got about 10" long he just started eating them. I tried starving him but that didn't work.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Small tank by itself. Lots of water movement. Cut small pieces of silversides. Catfish love food that smells. Give it a few days it will take silversides. But definately separate it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store