carpintis cichlid in a 75?

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I purchased a carpintis cichlid a little while ago in hopes that it would pair with one of the two what I believe to be female red mammon/kkp fish I have had. They are in a 125gal tank and because I'm too impulsive I ended up adding a flowerhorn that is now causing havoc. I must admit he has become one of my more favored fish due to his lack of fear towards me or my 2yr old daughter who likes to press her face against the side of the tank. I also have a 75 gallon which is currently unoccupied and I was wondering if it was realistic to think I could keep the carpintis and one of the kkp in there in hopes of them eventually breeding? Thanks

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Thanks, that is what I was thinking, but just wanted some affirmation.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here's my experience.
I grew out half dozen carpintus from @1" fry.

At @ 1 year, a pair of the largest male, and female formed (5"and 3.5" respectively), and others started to be killed, so I divided the tank with egg crate.
The pair spawned, and to save fry that wandered to the opposite side, I removed the carpintus from the other side of the divider, then removed it.
The pair successfully spawned again, and again a 3rd time.
During the last spawn the heightened spawning aggression hormones doomed the female, and soon after the male ate all the fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store