How to rinse 300 lbs. of substrate?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
^^What GB says. 5 gal bucket, 1/2 full of substrate, enough flow to agitate the substrate but not blast it out of the bucket, and swirl the substrate with your hand until it flows clear.
You'll flood your yard but, the substrate will be clean. If doing this in a bath tub, place a fine mesh screen strainer in the drain to prevent substrate clogging up the p-trap.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
I've drilled holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket to help speed things along. It's a long process though. If I ever have to do more than like 50 pounds, I put together a screen with 2 x 4's and window screen.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Tank is 96 x 30, 300 gal. Desired depth 1" or a little more. I was told I needed 1 pound per gallon for 1" of substrate. Thats where I got 300 Lbs. The calculator you provided said I only need to use 150 Lbs. for one 1". Thats would be great if accurate? I'm also planning on using just regular gravel

Also, thanks for the ideas everyone.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Buy some window screen mesh. Build a 2x4 frame big enough to suit ur needs and be manageable. Attach/wrap mesh securely around frame . Prop frame in air over something so water can easily drain. Spread and rinse like panning for gold. Reduce rinse time by 70% while being just as effective.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I had to rinse 500 lbs. of black sand so I went and bought a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tube to do it with.. just run the hose through all of it good and let the dirty water over flow out the top! Of course you have to do it outside but that is the best way I have found to do it and I did it with sand so I bet it would be a lot easier with gravel because it will not float up in the water like sand does!!!

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
96x30x1"=2880in3 or 1.66ft3. Gravel weighs roughly 100lbs per cu ft so you will need roughly 150-160lbs of gravel for an inch of substrate in your tank. Depending on the type of gravel you buy it may not need to be rinsed much if at all. Rinsing really applies to sand but cant hurt gravel. Wont be difficult or take long unlike washing hundreds of pounds of sand which would take most of a day

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I like to rinse substrate with water change water in winter, siphon from mid tank into the buckets of gravel and dump, then replace the tank water with fresh. Accomplish couple tasks in one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store