Prazipro effectiveness with gillflukes?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I am just curious if anyone knows really how effective prazipro is with treating gill flukes? I am treating my tank a second time now with prazipro as I believe one of my ntts still has gill flukes. I treated them for five days the first time and he rubbed very little after but has been rubbing more and more lately. He is rubbing and just not as active and he doesn't eat as much as the other two are and not nearly as aggressively as the other two. I certainly don't want anything spreading threw the tank so I need to stay on top of this. So I'm hoping that prazipro fixes his issue and he gets better. He is the only one rubbing at all. Is it just a matter of continuing with the treatments until he stops rubbing or is prazipro really not that effective? Keep in mind my whole system needs treated and it has rays in it so any meds must be ray safe! Also I prefer to treat everyone so I know everyone else is ok and parasite free rather then just treating one fish in a different tank. Thank you all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Bump they are on their third day of treatment and the one is still rubbing... Do I just continue to treat until it stops or is prazipro not that effective?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
continue to treat them, prazi is a damn good med IME. I would also add salt just to see if that helps as well. From what I understand its ok to use salt with rays.

could also QT the fish thats still rubbing and treat him alone, and also continue to treat the tank for a few more days, just what I would do if its only one fish showing the signs.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
I just caught the ntt I expected to be infected and quarantined him. In the process of moving him I looked inside his gills but everything looks perfectly normal and there is no discoloration at all? I looked at pics of gill flukes online and the fish that have them have discolored gills? So is it possible he doesn't have gill flukes at all and is just rubbing for the sake of rubbing?

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
is the NTT breathing all hard out of the blue???? i know my ntt did that a few times. Ive used prazipro and thought gil flukes. he went back to stable in a few days

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
is the NTT breathing all hard out of the blue???? i know my ntt did that a few times. Ive used prazipro and thought gil flukes. he went back to stable in a few days
No it is rubbing, more lethargic then the other two, and doesn't eat like the other two. This is why I believed it had gill flukes.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
When mine was acting strange. never seen em. i just did prazi-pro and wc with salt. I would just keep the lights off for now. mine went for a long time with out eating. how long has it been
He eats but not nearly like the other two and not nearly as aggressively.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Is there any definite way to determine what is and isn't gill flukes? After looking at the gills and the gills looking perfectly fine I find it hard to believe that this ntt has gill flukes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store