Should I be worried about my silver dollars in the future with my growing datnoid?

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
:popcorn: What's up, guys. It's been a while, I hope you guys been doing well. Been roaming around here and there. Busy.

Anyway, my one and only datnoid I got at two inches has gone to almost three inches now and is slowly creeping up in size, so it's only a matter of time until it doubles in size, and he/she is ready for the big main display tank or until I feel comfortable that he/she is at a good size enough not be eaten by my large fish in the display tank. Awesome stuff.. excited, but I'm also already starting to get a bit worried about what would happen after I put him/her into the main 250 gallon while growing up with probably 4-5 inch SD's during at the time.. :nilly: I mean once he/she reaches 12 inches and plus, would the datnoid try to go after my SD's to eat them?? By the time my dat will be huge, my SD's would probably be around 6-8 inches mark. Is there anything to be worried about? SD's are pretty swift and quick, I know that, but aren't datnoids as well..? Kinda anxious about what could happen. The SD's I have are the regular SD's, not the spotted ones or expensive cool tigers. I'm pretty positive that they are Metynnis hypsauchen species.

What do you guys think? :( Are they doomed to be a part of my dat one day? If you guys know what I mean :p

Have a awesome day my fellow datnoid buddies.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
The silver dollars will be fine, as they have a wide girth that won't fit in the datnoid's mouth.

I have two 12" datnoids living with ten silver dollars in various size

:)

1347.JPG

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I agree with fishes. He will never look at them as food even if the dat was 2ft, there's no way. They're too tall even at 3 or 4inch. Depending on the dats individual personality whether or not he will just attack them out of aggression some day. Just monitor the dat's aggression as he grows

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have 3 Dats, 8-12" with gobs of Silver dollars. They intimidate the Dats pretty badly. I have to hand feed the Arowana. They will steal food from another fishes mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store